7/30/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 7/30



On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight our prayer is rooted in the parable of the pearl of great price in today's gospel.

                The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant
                    searching for fine pearls.
                When he finds a pearl of great price,
                    he goes and sells all that he has and buys it. 

Whether or not I've given all I have
    to secure this pearl of great price,
I've at least, at last, come to recognize, Lord,
    what it is, what it offers and why it is so costly...

And in the process, by default, I now can see
    how much I spent, over decades,
        wasting my heart's affections 
            - not on your treasured pearl -
    but on costume jewelry, paste diamonds, fool's gold,
        on the faux and flickering glitter 
            of whatever caught my eye 
                and so ensnared my soul... 

It was years upon years, Lord,
    before my eyes opened and finally I saw
        the beauty of the gift that lay before me,
    mine to take - if I were willing -
        to offer in return my very self...
 
And now, piece by piece, part by part, 
    I'm surrendering myself
        that I might have the gift I've found,
        that what I've found might possess me
    until at last the pearl is mine and I am yours 
        in the giving and the taking 
            that's the price, the grace, the life of faith...

Help me, Lord, to give and give,
    piece by piece and part by part
'til all I am is yours
    and all that's yours is mine...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
Precious Pearl by Andy Park

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 

You are the shining precious pearl
There is nothing on earth so perfect and so pure
Your beauty now revealed
All the things of this world are fading from my view
I'd give anything to know you even more
I'd go anywhere to follow you my Lord

Jesus you are my precious pearl
You are beautiful
Jesus your are my great reward
Lord I live for you
Lord you are my precious pearl


You are the bright and morning star
And your majesty shines through all the universe
The treasure of my heart
There is nothing on earth that I want more than you
I'd give anything to see you even more
I'd go anywhere to follow you my Lord

Refrain

I live because I've seen the power of your lover
A foretaste of heaven pure joy forevermore

Refrain


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!