7/6/23

NIGHT PRAYER: THURSDAY 7/6


Just sitting here...
 
When Raymond Hunthausen served as the archbishop of Seattle (1975-1991), his vicar general would knock on his door and ask, "Are you busy?" And from within, Hunthausen would often reply, "Just sitting here, letting Jesus love me..."  (Source)
 
Now, that's something I don't do often enough, Lord:
    take time to sit back and let you love me:
 
        To sit in the quiet,
            listening for whispers of your presence,
                your friendship, your affection for me...
 
        To sit still, 
            making time to settle down long enough
                to feel, to hear your heart beat in sync with mine...

        To sit as calmly as I'm able, waiting
            for your strong arm to reach around
                and hold me close to you...

Perhaps I don't do enough of this, Lord,
    because I'm not really sure that you love me,
        that you're always loving me...
 
Or perhaps I don't expect to find you loving me :
    loving me in spite of my sins, 
        loving me individually, one-on-one...

Perhaps I don't think I'm worthy of your love
    - which I'm not -
and yet, you love me anyway:
    freely, fully and with forgiveness,
        generously, gently, graciously...
 
Teach me then, Lord, to believe in your love,
    your saving love,
        to believe in your love for me...
 
Teach me, Lord, to make the time for sitting,
   for sitting in the quiet stillness,
for sitting and waiting  for you 
    waiting for you and your love for me...

Teach me, Lord, to hope for your love,
    to wait on your love, 
        to expect to find you loving me
            when I come to sit and pray...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

How You Love Me by Patrick Mayberry

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
Could it really be this easy  
That You love me like You say You do 
I've got years and years of striving  
When there was nothing left to prove  
 
Could it really be this simple  
Your kindness changes everything 
 It's like Your grace is on a mission  
To take down my religion  
You're all I really need  
 
Hallelujah all this time  
How You love me How You love me  
Hallelujah it blows my mind  
How You love me How You love me  
Oh how you love me  
 
Could it be I'm finally seeing  
That You're not who I'd thought 
You'd be You're not mad  
And You're not scary  
And all this shame  
And guilt I've carried  
Is why You died for me  
 
Refrain

How You love me when I'm broken  
How You love me when I'm weak  
When I'm all out of options  
When I can't bring You anything  
How You love me when I'm hiding 
 Knowing I'm not good enough 
 Scared to death You're gonna turn Your back 
 Knowing what I've done but...
 
Refrain
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!