7/19/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 7/19


The first real scorcher, Lord:
    the kind of heat that drains our strength,
    strains the grid, humbling us as powerless,
    bent as wilted blossoms, parched ]
    and thirsting in the noon day sun...

But summer's warmth's no more a curse 
    than heat that bakes the loaf of bread
    or fires clay pots in the kiln     
    or presses sweat from honest toil
    or burns in beauty on the hearth...

Heat and cold, sun and rain, summer, fall, winter, spring:
    all ways for you to touch us, Lord,
    and make your presence felt down in
    the marrow of our bones...

Not long ago we cursed the cold 
    and prayed for warmth, for spring and summer days:
but now our temperamental tastes 
    seek gentle onshore breezes 
'til autumn comes when once again 
    we'll mourn the loss of summer's heat 
        and sunshine's healing warmth...
 
Be patient with us, Lord of light,
when summer's heat's upon us:
    bake us as a loaf of bread, 
        ready for the breaking;
    fire us as vessels strong
        and fill us with your grace;
    press the sweat of justice
        from the gospel work that's ours;
    let us burn as flames
        upon the Spirit's heart of wisdom
    and warm your way within us
        to the marrow of our souls...

Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
    and guard us while we sleep:
that awake, we might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace..

Amen. 
 
Two possibilities for music this evening.  First, Delius' tone poem, "Summer Night on the River"- a piece well suited to accompany our prayer and quiet reflection  at the end of this very warm day. And second, "Heat," an uptempo piece by Stephen Stanley which sings the cry of one who finds the heat near unbearable...
 
If two widgets doesn't appear below, click here:

Summer Night on the River by Frederick Delius


Heat by Stephen Stanley


Sometimes I feel like a desert stormLike I'm praying for rain, but the sky never opensSometimes I can feel it in my bonesLike I could burst into flames at about any moment
 
I need something holySomebody to hold meA strong back to stand my groundI've been feeling lonelyNobody understands mePlease, Heaven, can you help me out?I just can't take the heat right nowI just can't take the heat right now
 
Sometimes fear can get the best of meI get so hyperfocused on what keeps me broken
 They say You can fix meI hope You can fix me
I need something holySomebody to hold meA strong back to stand my groundI've been feeling lonelyNobody understands mePlease, Heaven, can you help me out?
'Cause I need something holySomebody to hold meSomeone to tell me I ain't too far goneI need you to shield meI need you to heal mePlease, Heaven, can you help me out?
 I just can't take the heat right nowI just can't take the heat right now
 
Sometimes I feel like I can breathe againI could fall, I could rise, but I'm still aliveI could fall, I could rise, but I'm still alive
 
I need something holySomebody to hold meA strong back to stand my groundI've been feeling lonelyNobody understands mePlease, Heaven, can you help me out?
'Cause I need something holySomebody to hold meSomeone to tell me I ain't too far goneI need you to shield meI need you to heal mePlease, Heaven, can you help me out?
 I just can't take the heat right nowI just can't take the heat right nowI just can't take the heat right now

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!