8/20/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 8/20


 

Especially tonight - please read this intro! 

On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Today's gospel featured the Canaanite woman who approached Jesus, pleading on behalf of her daughter who was in dire need.  At first, Jesus rebuffs her as someone not of the house of Israel and he says,  “It is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs.”  She counters, “Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the table of their masters."  (The harshness here is slightly softened if you know that in the original text the Greek word is actually "puppy!")  Moved by the woman's faith, Jesus reverses his approach and immediately, her daughter is healed.  Given the story line, you can understand why hymns based on this text are not easy to find!  But going with the image of the Lord feeding us (generously!)  from his table, Bernadette Farrell's "Bread of Life" can serve us well tonight.
 
When I'm hungry for your help, Lord, 
I'll take anything (and everything!) you offer me!

I know you won't deny me the nourishment I need
    to be faithful to your word,
        in good times and in bad,
        in sickness and in health
        in times of sorrow and times of joy...

I trust that you'll feed me with mercy and grace,
with food to strengthen and heal me
    when I'm broken and wounded,
    fragile and weak,
    when I think I just can't go on...
 
Treat me like a puppy- that's fine with me!
Call me by name - I'll scamper to your side!
    Pick me up, cuddle and hold me close!
    And feed me, Lord, from your open hand,
    with the food that comes from your heart... 

When I'm hungry for your help, Lord, 
I'll take everything you offer me:
    you've saved me a place at your table
    and you call me by name to join you
    in sharing the bread of your life...
          
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
    Image source
 
 Bread of Life, Hope of the World 

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!