8/1/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 8/1



Most days, Lord, 
you feed my soul's imagination  
with words and ideas, hints and cues,
images moving my heart to pray, 
to write (and rewrite) and share with my readers 
a word I hope 
is a word you hope we'll hear
and make our own...

But now and again comes a day like today
when I wonder and ponder, search and wait
for a spark, a nudge, some whispered wisdom 
to shape my thoughts and bring to prayer
a word to share, a song to sing 
with those who wait to hear your voice
as evening shadows fade 
into the silence of the night...
 
Your silence, Lord - is it truly silence?
Or just a quiet moment
inviting me to listen much more closely
for a word I may not want to hear?
a word I really need to hear?
a word I truly long to hear but doubt
that it's a word you have for me?

Your silence, Lord - is it truly yours?
Or perhaps it's time you're giving me
to silence in my heart 
the foolish noise and endless chatter,
the worry and anxiety that fill my mind 
'til I can't hear your word for me:
    a word I want to hear, 
    a word I need to hear,
    a word I long to hear each day
    as evening shadows fade
    into the silence of the night... 

No, you're not silent, Lord
    - you're only speaking sotto voce!
 
So quiet me, I pray,
- quiet all of us now gathered here -
and in the evening silence
help us hear the word you speak:
    to each of us a different word,
        unique to each one's needs
    and to all of us the same word,
        your gentle word of peace...
 
Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
    and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
Back in March I posted another prayer on the silence of God. On that post I offered three songs for reflection: one of those (God of Silence) is the first selection tonight, followed by When God Is Silent, a piece I found just today.


If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
The God of silence beckons me  
To journey to my heart  
Where He awaits 
 O Lord, I hear You calling tenderly  
To You I come to gaze  
At the beauty of Your face I cannot see  
To rest in Your embrace I cannot feel  
To dwell in Your love hurting but sweet  
To be with You; to glimpse eternity  
 
God of night, fount of all my delight.  
Show Your light . . . 
that my heart, like Yours, burn bright.  
 
Be still, the torment of the night  
Shall not encumber you, if you believe  
My child this darkness isn't emptiness 
 For here I mold your heart  
Unto My image painfully you long to see  
The self you yearn to be, but fear to know  
The world from which you flee, in Me find home  
All these I give you, if you remain in Me  
 
I am ever here  
My child, you need not fear  
The dark will set you free  
And bring your heart to Me  
    God of night, fount of all my delight.  
    Show Your light . . . 
    that my heart, like Yours, burn bright. 
 
The God of silence beckons me  
To journey to my heart  
Where He awaits me.
 
When God Is Silent by The Wilds
 
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!

 

 

When God is silent and we don’t know
    the way before us that we ought to go;
When we’ve attempted to do His will,
    and yet His silence continues still.
 
Then it’s time to trust!
Yes, it’s time to remember that the LORD is faithful to His own.
If we hope, we shall yet be praising once again,
for his silence never means that we’re alone!
 
When God is silent and all seems lost,
    as o’re the waves our boat is tempest tossed;
When answers fail us and doubts arise,
    but God seems distant, hid from our eyes!
 
Then it’s time to trust!
Yes, it’s time to remember that the LORD is faithful to His own.
If we hope, we shall yet be praising once again,
for his silence never means that we’re alone!

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!