9/21/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 9/22


As evening comes, Lord, 
I want to thank you for all the times you spoke to me today
- but I missed what you said
    because I was too busy and distracted
    or day dreaming, paying no attention
    or because I made no time for prayer today,
    quiet time to listen for your voice and for your word...

And I want to thank you, Lord
for all the times today when you nudged me in the right direction
- but I took a wrong turn nonetheless
    because I wasn't looking for your guidance
    or thought I didn't need your help
    or because I figured my way was better than yours
    - and we both know where that kind of thinking lands me...
 
And I want to thank you, Lord,
for all the times today you invited me to share in your work
- but I didn't lend a hand, I didn't help you out
    because I was too self-absorbed to see my neighbor's need
    or because I was just plain lazy and chose not to get involved
    or didn't trust you'd help me do
    what seemed beyond my strength and skill...
 
And I want to thank you, Lord,
for all the times today you showed me something beautiful
- but I walked on by and didn't stop to look
    because I was lost in my own interests
    or too busy to put my day on pause,
    or some bling, bright and shiny, caught my eye
    and so I missed your simple gifts in nature:
    exquisite, free, divine and tagged for me...

So I pray tonight, Lord, that tomorrow:
    - I'll make more time for prayer to hear the word you speak
    - I'll follow where you lead me with your wisdom and your grace
    - I'll get off my butt and lend a hand to those I meet in need
    - I'll open wide my eyes to see your beauty, all around me

'Til then, Lord, 'til tomorrow,
    protect me while I lie awake
        and guard me while I sleep
    that awake, I might keep watch with you
        and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
When looking for tonight's song, Godspell's Day By Day came to mind but I wanted something more reflective in tone - that's when I came across Victor Johnson's setting of these well known lyrics which are attributed to St. Richard of Chichester (1197-1253). 
 
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here! 



Day by day, day by day, day by day,
O dear Lord, three things I pray:
to see thee more clearly,
love thee more dearly,
follow thee more nearly,
day by day.
 
Still hankering for Godspell?  
OK - here it is! 
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here! 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the Day by Day version by Victor Johnson, but you read my mind! I was still hankering for the Godspell version. Thanks so much!🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!