10/1/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 10/1


On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Today's scriptures showed us God's mercy and in my homily I focused on the change of heart we all need as we stand before the Lord.  My homily ended with a "Lord, help me change" prayer.  This post is an adaptation of that prayer to help us as we wrestle with the how hard it is to change even what we know needs change in our lives.
 

Lord, some things in my life need changing
   and I wish these changes would happen overnight
but change comes slowly to me -
   perhaps because I come so slowly to change...

 

Help me change, Lord,

   help me change…


Open me to the changes I want to make,

   the changes I need to make,

      the changes you’d have me make in my life, Lord…


Change me from the inside out!

 

Reboot my heart

   ‘til it beats in rhythm with yours,

‘til my heart’s in sync

   with your word and your wisdom…


Change and stretch me, Lord, to become, to be

      the person you created me to be

Stretch me, Lord,

   ‘til I’m satisfied with being nothing less
       than the person you call me to be...

 

Open my eyes, Lord,

   to see your Spirit at work in my life
      helping me to change, day by day…

Open my ears to hear your voice

   guiding me through the changes I need to make...

Open my mouth in prayer to ask for your help

   in making the changes I most need to make...

 

Open my mind to know and to learn

    how my thoughts and ideas might need to change…

 

Open my hands to work for change

   that will serve and help and lift up my neighbor…

Open me to changes I need to make

   in places I’m now complacent, smug and content…

 

Open my heart to your Spirit, Lord,

   changing, shaping and molding me in your image…

 

Open me to the ways you’re leading and guiding me

   through changes I don’t want to make,

      changes I’m afraid to make,

         changes I need to make

            and changes you’re making within me…

So much in my life needs change, Lord, so I pray you’ll

   heal what’s wounded, mend what’s broken,

      sweeten what’s soured, refresh what’s lost,

         and refresh what’s grown weary within me…

 

Change me, Lord:
   help me serve those in need,
   cheer those in sorrow,
   comfort those who grieve,
   stand with those who stand alone

     and rejoice with those whose hearts are glad…

 

Change me, Lord,

   in all the ways you and I know I need to change,

especially when I’m slow to change

      or even resist and refuse to change…

On the Cross, Lord,

   you humbled, opened and emptied yourself,

you exchanged your life for mine

   that I might have life forever, with you…

 

Now change me, Lord, change me, I pray:
   humble, open and empty my heart
for the sake of all whose paths cross mine

   and the glory of your holy name…

 

Protect me, Lord, while I’m awake

   and watch over me while I sleep

that awake, I might keep watch with you

   and asleep, rest in your peace…

 

Amen.

 

 

Change My Heart by Maranatha Music

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!