10/24/23

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 10/24



An article in this morning's paper 
    offered advice on how to speak to children 
        about the war in Israel...
 
Count me in for approaching this task 
    in age-appropriate terms and vocabulary
        - after all, we're talking to children...
 
But, I'm not a child - how about me?
    and all of us grownups - how about us?
        all of us children of one Lord and God!
 
Are there any moral, civil terms,
    does any language offer
        a humane, empathetic  "appropriate" vocabulary
to "explain" to young or old
    the killing of innocent neighbors:
        families with children, the sick and the old?

Is there any compassionate way
    to speak of slaughtering our neighbors
        - and doing so in your name, O Lord?

Oh, I'm not without sin here myself, Lord...
 
There've been so many times, far too many,
    when I've waged war on sister and brother,
        on neighbors, on friends, on the innocent poor
through my anger and pride, my bias and greed,
    my violent thoughts, my hateful words,
        and my uncaring, selfish, spiteful deeds...

Lord, have mercy!
Christ, have mercy!
Lord, have mercy on us all!
 
Make all of us thoroughly intolerant, Lord, 
    of hateful speech, terms of war  
        and words that lead to evil deeds...
 
Teach us new words, new terms of peace,
    a language rich with compassion and kindness,
        understanding, patience and love...
 
Remind us of who we are, Lord:
    one family of sisters and brothers
among whom we speak only those words
    appropriate for who we are:
        all children of one God...

Amen.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!