1/25/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 1/25


Today is the Feast of the Conversion of Saint Paul from being a persecutor of Christians to becoming one of the greatest voices in Christian history.  In the letter to the Romans, Paul wrote of the interior civil war he experienced in his own soul - tonight's prayer picks up on that theme, one I believe we're all familiar with...

Sometimes, Lord, I see right away 
   what's the right thing 
        and what's the wrong thing to do
    - but other times it's not so clear...
 
And sometimes I do
    what I clearly ought to do
        - and sometimes I don't...

And sometimes 
    when I want to do the wrong thing
I find ways to convince myself
    that the wrong thing is a good thing!  

Yup!  I need help with this...
 
I need your eyes 
   to help me clearly see the difference
      between what's right and wrong...

I need your wisdom 
    to help me know what I should do 
        - especially when I'm leaning in the wrong direction...

I need your Spirit 
    to help me want to do the right thing,
       especially when the wrong thing's so appealing...

Help me always, Lord,
    to do the next right thing
       and to faithfully see it through... 

You know how I am, Lord:
   sometimes my mind, heart and body long
        for what's not so good for me
    - even for things that are truly bad for me 
        or for others...

Sometimes I find myself desiring 
    what's unhealthy or unwise or unfair...

Sometimes I desire the wrong things  
    or the wrong person...

Sometimes I desire what's good
   but in a wrong or selfish way...

Sometimes, I waste my heart's desires
   on the quick and easy, the slick and pleasurable;
      the cheap and selfish...

And you and I both know, Lord:
    my heart was made for much greater things,
        things deserving of my love...

Help me love what's good, Lord,
   - and settle for nothing less...

Fill my heart with a hunger
    for things you love and cherish,
    for whatever you may ask of me,
    for what's good and just and pure and true...
  
Help me desire what you desire, Lord,
    help me treasure what you cherish,
        help me embrace what you embrace
            help me choose as you would choose...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Although titled, "Let It Be," 
    tonight's song is not by the Beatles!
 
Let It Be by Tommy Walker
 
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!