2/25/24

NIGHT PRAYER: SUNDAY 2/25

 

On Sundays, Night Prayer takes its inspiration from some element of the day's liturgy. The gospel for this Second Sunday of Lent tells tells of Jesus taking Peter, James and John up a mountain where he's transfigured before them - and Moses and Elijah appear.  The Transfiguration is the subject hundreds of icons.  

The gospel narratives report that the disciples "fell prostrate and were very much afraid" (Matthew); "were terrified" (Mark); and  "became frightened" (Luke).  Iconographers always depict these three men in various forms of topsy-turvy disarray.  Here's a good example of such an icon, followed by detail from the same work. (Click on either image for a larger version.)


And detail from that image:

 
 
Let's go up that mountain now
    with Jesus and Peter, James and John!
 
Shock me, Lord!
 
Rouse me from indifference,
    from my sleepy inattention!
 
Upset my blasé nonchalance
    and startle my complacency! 
 
Disturb my laid-back listless faith 
    and knock me off my feet!
 
Help me see you so clearly
    that I can't unsee you!
 
Let the very sight of you
    turn me upside down,
    turn me inside out,
    turn me around
    and turn me back to you 
until 
    the glory of your presence,
    the vision of your beauty
    and the brilliance of your face 
are all I'll want or need to see
    for all eternity...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake I might keep watch for you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
     
Amen. 
 

Lord, Let Your Face Shine Upon us by Marty Haugen

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!

 

Lord, let your face shine upon us,
shine upon us, shine upon us, shine upon us
 
Listen to my song
hear me when I call O Lord, my God,
be gracious, hear my prayer! 
 
You have called my name,
set your seal upon my heart,
you hear me when I call 
 
Fill me with your joy,
grant to me a peaceful rest
to dwell in safety with my Lord 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!