2/18/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 2/18


  
On Sundays, Night Prayer will be drawn from an element of the day's liturgy.  Tonight's prayer flows 
from the imagery in the first reading of today's mass: Noah's ark and the rainbow God hung in the sky after the great flood.

I've noticed, Lord, that very often
it's hard to figure out why you do what you do
and why you do it - when you do...

At least that's my experience of you
and if others are telling me the truth
- then I'm not alone in my observation...

Sometimes you interrupt a perfectly beautiful day
with darkening skies and a soul-drenching downpour

- putting more than just a damper on everything around...

And then, of a sudden, you drop a rainbow from your pocket:
    an afterthought?  a divine apology? a pure gift?

I don't know, Lord
 - but oh-so-very-welcome is that bright and glorious arc!

It's not for me to figure out
   why you do what you do
   or why you do it - when you do.
My tasks are much simpler, Lord:
   to bask in your light when the sun is warm;
   to bathe in your grace when the heavens thunder;
   to delight in your surprise when a rainbow glows...

An afternoon may bring sunshine,
stormy darkness
and the glory of a rainbow
all within an hour
and so it is, so often
in the landscape of my heart... 
 
Let me find you, Lord, 
in all places and at all times:
in the light and in the dark,       
in the sunshine and the rain,
in the silence and in thunder
and in every rainbow’s tender kiss
  of color, joy and  beauty,
   of promise, hope and joy...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Tonight's song is rather upbeat for this time of day
    but it pairs well with our prayer...

God Put a Rainbow in the Cloud by the Hayes Family
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!


 
When God shut Noah in the grand old ark, 
He put a rainbow in the cloud. 
When the thunders rolled and the sky was dark,
God put a rainbow in the cloud.
 
God put a rainbow in the cloud. 
God put a rainbow in the cloud.
When it looked like the sun wouldn't shine anymore, 
God put a rainbow in the cloud. 
 
Away down yonder in Egypt's sand, 
God put a rainbow in the cloud. 
Just to lead his children to the promised land, 
God put a rainbow in the cloud.
 
When they put old Daniel in the lion's den,
God put a rainbow in the cloud. 
Just to prove his promise to the sons of men, 
God put a rainbow in the cloud.

Amen.
 
  


SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!