5/5/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 5/5



On Sundays, Night Prayer will take its inspiration from an element of that day's mass.  Tonight we recall this morning's gospel and Michael Joncas' musical setting of that passage.  I suggest you follow the link to the gospel and/or listen to the song before praying the text.

There Is No Greater Love


 
I love this song, Lord:
    its melody line weaving its way into my heart,
        braiding my prayer with your word, your command,
            to love my neighbor as you've loved me...
 
Not so much a demand as a tender summons,
    inviting me to share in the joy
        born of offering one's life for others
            as you offered yours for me....
 
A song that leads to the foot of your Cross,
    drawing me close to that ultimate love
        deeper and greater than any I've known,
            a love you ask me to live and to share...
 
There's no greater love, Lord, no greater love
    than to lay down my life for a friend;
there's no greater love, Lord, no greater love
    than the love you have for me...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.

There Is No Greater Love by Michael Joncas

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

  

There is no greater love, says the Lord,
than to lay down your life for a friend.
There is no greater love, no greater love, 
than to lay down your life for a friend. 
 
As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. Live on in my love.
You will live in my love if you keep my commands,
even as I have kept my Father's. 
 
All this I tell you that my joy may be yours and your joy may be complete. 
Love one another as I have loved you: This is my command. 
 
You are my friends if you keep my commands
no longer slaves but friends to me.
All I heard from my Father, I have made known to you:
Now I call you friends. 
 
It was not you who chose me, it was I who chose you,
chose you to go forth and bear fruit
Your fruit must endure, so you will receive
all you ask the Father in my name.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!