9/15/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 9/15



On Sundays, Night Prayer takes its lead from some element of the day's liturgy.  This evening we turn to the gospel proclaimed at mass and Jesus' question: "Who do you say that I am?"  
 
Who do I say you are, Lord? 
 
With Peter who betrayed you 
    I say you are the Messiah:
        promised by God and anointed
            to bring good news to the poor,
            to proclaim freedom for prisoners,
            recovery of sight to the blind
            and to set the oppressed free...
 
With Thomas who doubted you 
    I say you are, 
        "My Lord and my God!"

With Mary Magdalene who loved you
    I say you are Rabboni,
        my Teacher...
 
When I don't know where to turn
    I say you are
        my way, my truth, my life...
 
When I've strayed and lost my way
    I say you're
        my Good Shepherd...

When I'm helpless, feeling hopeless
    I say you are
        my Savior...

When I'm hungry in my soul
    I say you are
        the Bread of Life...

When my spirit thirsts for joy,
    I say you are
        the Cup of Blessing...
 
When I'm lost in all my failings,
    I say you are
        the Lamb of God
            who takes away the sin of the world...

When I find myself alone
    I say you are Emmanuel
        God-with-me, my companion...
 
When I'm confounded and confused
    I say you are
        my wisdom, light and prudence...
 
When I'm uncomfortable in my own skin
    I say you are
        God's Word made flesh
            that my flesh be redeemed...

When nations are at war
    and I'm in conflict with my neighbor
        I say you are
            the Prince of Peace...
 
When my footing is unsure, Lord,
    I say you are
        my refuge and my rock,
            my fortress and my stronghold...
 
You ask me who I say you are, Lord:
    you are my mercy, hope and grace,
    you are my shelter from life's storms,
    you are the healing of my wounds,
    you are the mender of my brokenness,
    you're the friend who always has my back,
        who knows me yet still loves me,
        who pardons and forgives me
        who always takes me back,
    you're the shoulder I can lean on,
    you're the one who always listens,
        who hears and understands me,
    you're my hope when I have none,
        my strength when I am weak,
            my counsel when I'm clueless...

You are my beginning and my end,
    you are my Lord and God,
        you are my all in all...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
You Are My All in All 
    by Dennis Jernigan
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!