
Image: George Mendoza
The way of the fool seems right in his own eyes
but he who listens to advice is wise...
but he who listens to advice is wise...
Good morning, good God!
O Lord,
you see everything I do
and everything I fail to do;
still, you pardon and forgive me
and always take me back...
and everything I fail to do;
still, you pardon and forgive me
and always take me back...
Trusting in your mercy, then,
I'm here and boldly ask:
I'm here and boldly ask:
"When in this day's course, Lord,
will I play the fool again?"
When will I be foolish
in my thinking, in my thoughts,
in my dreams and schemes and plans,
in my daydreams and delusions,
in my self-evaluation?
When will I be foolish
in my idle conversations,
in my rumoring and gossip,
in my cutting, mean remarks
in half-truths, lies and fibs?
When will I be foolish,
imprudent, careless, silly;
in what I do and fail to do,
in how I impede progress
or fail to foster growth?
When, today, O Lord
will I fail to seek and heed
the wisdom you will offer
in my thoughts, my words, my deeds?
It only takes a moment
to tune you out
to tune you out
and fail to hear you whisper:
here's what wise and true and just...
It takes me but a second
to forget what's right
and choose instead
to forget what's right
and choose instead
what soothes and pleases me...
I'm a dunce to have in heart
you wisdom and your counsel
and yet play the fool, so often
and make the reckless choice...
Trusting in your mercy, then,
I'm here and boldly ask:
I'm here and boldly ask:
"When in this day's course, Lord,
will I play the fool again?"
Help me see my foolish ways
and hear my foolish words
and keep me from my foolish deeds
and hear my foolish words
and keep me from my foolish deeds
lest I do any harm...
I offer my desire, then
to end my foolish ways
and my earnest hope to smarten up
and follow where you lead...
Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!