8/7/26

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 8/7


Why are you far away, Lord?
Why do you hide yourself when I am in trouble?
- Psalm 10

 

Sometimes, that’s just how I feel, Lord!

I feel like you are far, far away

   when I’m in trouble

   and when I need you the most…


Of course, I know that part of the problem

   is my praying, hoping, wanting and wishing
that you'd solve all my problems

   and give me peace – right now

or at least sooner than later

   and the truth is, Lord:

      it's already later than sooner...

So that's why you hear me pray,
   Where are you, Lord? 

   Have you forgotten me?

   Why, Lord, do you stand far away

   when I’m in trouble and I need you?


Why do I wait so long for you to do
   what I know you can do?
Why do you wait so long to do
   what you can do?

I know you hear my prayer,

   that you know my every problem.
But I have to wonder

   what keeps your arm from reaching out,

   your hand from helping and healing me

- or have I somehow missed

      your reach, your touch, your care?

Why do you leave me locked in chains of fear,
   shackled in confusion,

      imprisoned by my hopelessness?

 

I don't think I’m asking for too much, Lord.
I ask only for a share

   of what some seem to have in abundance:

I ask for the peace of mind and heart

   that opens to the joy

      that's only yours to give...

 

And I know, Lord: 

   your love for all your people is mysterious,

   sometimes confusing and confounding,

   always mystifying - and yet inviting -

   and ever faithful, true, abiding...

 

And I know, Lord,

   that even when I don’t understand,

   when I feel like you’ve forgotten me,

   when I can’t seem to find you,

      - even and especially then -

I need to put my hope and trust in you

   because you’re my safe place while I wait…  

   you’re my fortress when I feel attacked…  

   you’re my refuge in my fear…  

   you’re my haven in my hopelessness…  

      my safe harbor when my heavy heart

         is storm-tossed and alone...

So tonight I pray and trust, Lord, that you’ll be

   my strength when I'm weak,
   my confidence when I'm tempted to give up,

   my wisdom when I just don’t understand,
   my light in the depths of darkness,

   my joy in the midst of grief,

   and my hope when I wonder

      why when I’m in trouble

         you seem so far away…
  
And I pray for others who are troubled, Lord,
   those who know so well 

      the prayer I pray tonight,

         the plea that lives in their hearts, too…


And… if in fear and pain I've somehow missed
   how your healing hand has

      touched my deepest wounds,
let me see and know

   how you’ve reached out,

   how close you’ve been

   how much you’ve done

in mercy and with kindness

   to touch my troubled heart

      with the peace for which I pray…

     

In the quiet of my prayer, Lord,

   help me know you’re by my side,

that you’re never far away,

   but always close at hand…

 

Help me trust that your heart holds, Lord,

   a place for mine to rest

and that in your heart I’ll find the peace

   I long to know and pray for…        

 

Protect me, Lord, while I’m awake

   and watch over me while I sleep,

that awake, I might keep watch with you

   and asleep, rest in your peace…

 

Amen. 
 
Lord, I Need You by Chris Tomlin
 
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
 
Lord I come, I confess 
Bowing here I find my rest 
Without You I fall apart 
You're the one that guides my heart 
 
Lord, I need You, oh I need You 
Every hour I need You 
My one defense, my righteousness 
Oh God, how I need You 
 
Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more 
Where grace is found is where You are 
And where You are Lord I am free 
Holiness is Christ in me 
Yes, where you are, Lord, I am free
Holiness is Christ in me 
 
So teach my song to rise to You 
When temptation comes my way 
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You 
Jesus You're my hope and stay 
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus You're my hope and stay

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!