
On Sundays, Night Prayer takes its lead from some element of the day's liturgy. Tonight we begin with the words of Jesus in today's gospel: Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid...
Lord, I can't count the number of time
when you tell me to have no fear,
to fear not, to be not afraid...
I'm grateful for all that encouragement
when you tell me to have no fear,
to fear not, to be not afraid...
I'm grateful for all that encouragement
but the truth is,
I still have fears... I'm often afraid...
And still you tell me,
And still you tell me,
Be not afraid...
Sometimes, Lord,
Sometimes, Lord,
I'm not even sure what it is I fear
but I know when I'm afraid
because I know how it feels
- and I know when I feel it...
And yet you tell me,
but I know when I'm afraid
because I know how it feels
- and I know when I feel it...
And yet you tell me,
Be not afraid...
Sometimes I'm afraid
Sometimes I'm afraid
of things in my past,
things that no longer exist,
the old, familiar ghosts of things long gone...
And again you tell me,
things that no longer exist,
the old, familiar ghosts of things long gone...
And again you tell me,
Be not afraid...
And sometimes I fear
And sometimes I fear
what doesn't yet exist:
I fear what's next
or what might be,
or what could be
or things I dream up
that will never be...
And once more you tell me,
And once more you tell me,
Be not afraid...
Sometimes, Lord,
I'm afraid of people,
Sometimes, Lord,
I'm afraid of people,
afraid of folks I've no reason to fear
and sometimes I fear
those who love me
and that makes no sense at all...
And still you tell me,
Be not afraid...
And sometimes, Lord,
I know it's my fear
that blinds my heart
to the grace and strength
you give me
- when I am afraid!
And yet you tell me,
Be not afraid...
And sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid of myself:
And sometimes, Lord, I'm afraid of myself:
of who I am,
of what I've done -or not yet done-
of what I might yet do
and then begins the vicious circle
of fearing the fear within me,
the fear that makes me afraid...
And again you tell me,
Be not afraid...
And sometimes, Lord,
And sometimes, Lord,
I'm afraid of you
who never tire of telling me:
Take heart and be not afraid,
I'm here, I'm with you,
I'm your courage and strength,
I will not leave your side...
What will it take, Lord, what must I do,
to take a step outside my fear, beyond my fear,
to trust in you, to walk with you:
my shield, my safety,
my refuge from danger
and my hope that all shall be well...
Fill my heart with your Spirit, Lord,
with the grace I need - day after day -
to take but one small step in faith
Fill my heart with your Spirit, Lord,
with the grace I need - day after day -
to take but one small step in faith
beyond my doubt, beyond my fear...
I need to hear your words again, Lord,
I need to hear your words again, Lord,
again and again and again,
'til my faith is strong beyond my dread,
and secure beyond my fear...
'til my faith is strong beyond my dread,
and secure beyond my fear...
So before I go to sleep tonight,
let me hear you whisper again: Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid,
I am here, I am with you
and all shall be well...
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
Be Not Afraid by Taylor Davis
performed by Stonebriar Music
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
Be not afraid for I have redeemed you
Be not afraid
I've called you my name
My love for you is everlasting
My love for you shall have no end
When you pass through the waters
I will surround you
When you pass through the floods
They will not sweep o'er
When you walk through the fire
You will not be consumed
You are my child
You are my child
You are so precious to me
Be not afraid for I have redeemed you
Be not afraid for I've called you my name
My love for you is everlasting
My love for you will have no end
When you pass through the waters
I will surround you
When you pass through the floods
They will not sweep o'er
When you walk through the fire
You will not be consumed
You are my child
You are my child
You are so precious to me
You are my child
And I'll love you always
Just hold my hand and I'll lead you on
When you feel lost always remember
I am right here
Just call out my name
When you pass through the waters
I will surround you
When you pass through the floods
They will not sweep o'er
When you walk through the fire
You will not be consumed
You are my child
You are so precious to me

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!