Today's first reading at mass was Saint Paul's familiar hymn to love from 1 Corinthians:
Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails...Perhaps we can use these words to reflect back on the day we just lived...
Am I a lover, Lord?
Help me look back on today, Lord,
on the people I met and interacted with,
the circumstances I found myself in,
what I did,
what I failed to do,
what I shared and what I hid,
the choices I made
what I shared and what I hid,
the choices I made
and the words I spoke...
Was I a lover today, Lord?
When and how
was I patient today?
When and how
was I kind?
Was I jealous today?
was I envious?
Were there times today, Lord,
when I was haughty and rude?
Did I see to my own interests all day long
or did I take time out
Was I a lover today, Lord?
When and how
was I patient today?
When and how
was I kind?
Was I jealous today?
was I envious?
Were there times today, Lord,
when I was haughty and rude?
Did I see to my own interests all day long
or did I take time out
to serve the needs of others?
Was I quick-tempered?
Was I quick-tempered?
grouchy? harsh? angry?
Did I spend time today
brooding over old hurts,
Did I spend time today
brooding over old hurts,
disappointments and resentments?
Did I take any pleasure today
in things I know to be wrong?
Did I seek out and rejoice
Did I take any pleasure today
in things I know to be wrong?
Did I seek out and rejoice
in what I know to be
true and good and just?
Did I bear my burdens gladly
or sulk in complaint and self-pity?
Did I strive to be trusting
and to grow in what I believe in?
Did I make an effort to be hopeful
- especially when I felt defeated?
Did I face the day's problems
and make an honest effort
Did I bear my burdens gladly
or sulk in complaint and self-pity?
Did I strive to be trusting
and to grow in what I believe in?
Did I make an effort to be hopeful
- especially when I felt defeated?
Did I face the day's problems
and make an honest effort
to resolve them?
Was I a lover today, Lord?
Did I succeed in being a loving person?
And if I didn't, where did I fail?
and what do I need to do
Was I a lover today, Lord?
Did I succeed in being a loving person?
And if I didn't, where did I fail?
and what do I need to do
to grow in love tomorrow?
Help me remember
Help me remember
how much you love me, Lord,
and how much you love all your people;
and how much you love all your people;
help me to love as you love:
freely, fully and with forgiveness...
Help me to see
freely, fully and with forgiveness...
Help me to see
where my heart is true and self-giving
and help me see
where I'm selfish
and less than loving...
Strengthen the love already in my heart
and deepen my heart to grow in love that
bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things and endures all things...
Fill my heart
Strengthen the love already in my heart
and deepen my heart to grow in love that
bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things and endures all things...
Fill my heart
with the love that doesn't fail, Lord,
so that I not fail in loving you
and loving those whose paths cross mine each day...
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...
Amen.
The Greatest of These
by Tina English
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
If I speak with the tongues of men and angels,
but have not love, I am just noise.
And if I have the gift of prophecy,
and know all knowledge, have all faith,
understand all mysteries,
or remove mountains,
but have not love, I am nothing.
If I give all I have to feed the poor,
but have not love,
but have not love, I am just noise.
And if I have the gift of prophecy,
and know all knowledge, have all faith,
understand all mysteries,
or remove mountains,
but have not love, I am nothing.
If I give all I have to feed the poor,
but have not love,
nothing is gained.
Love is patient, love is kind,
Love is patient, love is kind,
Love is patient, love is kind,
love does not brag; and is not arrogant.
Love is not proud, boastful or rude.
Love does not seek its own.
love does not brag; and is not arrogant.
Love is not proud, boastful or rude.
Love does not seek its own.
Love rejoices in the truth.
Love rejoices in the truth.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love bears all things, bears all things,
believes all things, believes all things,
Love hopes all things, Love hopes all things,
endures all things.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love bears all things, bears all things,
believes all things, believes all things,
Love hopes all things, Love hopes all things,
endures all things.
These three remain; faith, hope, and love.
But the greatest of these is love.
The greatest of these is love.
The greatest of these is love.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!