10/1/26

Pause for Prayer: FRIDAY 10/2

On the Church calendar, today is the Feast of the Guardian Angels. (For another slice of angelfood prayer, see my post from this week's feast of the Archangels.)
 
It's not that I don't believe in angels, Lord 
    - I do!
 
But in all my years, I've never met 
    a wings-and-halo angel,
    a robed but disembodied spirit
    sent to bring me peace and light
    and messages from you...

I'm sure such angels do exist
and I trust they're watching over me
but of all the angels I have met -
    each one was was flesh and bone,
    warm blooded just like me...

Such angels cross my path, Lord,
  and almost every day:
    they wait for me and walk with me,
    listen to and speak with me,
    they have my back and take my side,
    they serve as guides and counsel me:
        my loyal friends, they're always there,
        they're always faithful, ever true...

 

Angels made of flesh and bone,
warm blooded and embodied:
    couriers with messages,
    swift heralds of your wisdom,
    speaking to my mind and heart  
    by email, text and word of mouth
    in prayer and conversation:
        angels I call friends, Lord
        and now and then (amazing grace!)
        they come disguised as strangers,
        unannounced and unexpected,
        bearing gifts you knew I needed,
        gifts of mercy, help and love... 

Send angels, Lord, to guard me:
    send angels winged and haloed
        and angels in disguise
     to hover all around me
        and protect me on my way,
    to keep and guard and guide me
        as I walk my path to you... 

Amen.

Voice of an Angel by Liam Lawton

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!



When I'm lying in the darkness
And I'm half afraid to sleep
I keep thinking of tomorrow
And the thoughts that lie so deep
Then I pray in talking whispers
Cause I know that somewhere near
Is the presence of an angel
Come to hold me through my fear

And who are you who guides me
My messenger of light
Will you walk beside me now
Beyond the day and night
Who are you who guides me
With words I cannot write
It's the voice of an angel,
The voice of an angel,
The voice of an angel
Come to hold me close this night

Then I close my eyes
And open the window of my heart
For I know that you will listen
Even though I kiss the dark
And as I'm slowly breathing
O the night just lingers on
I hear the voice of an angel
Come to calm me with the song

And who are you who guides me
My messenger of light
Will you walk beside me now
Beyond the day and night
Who are you who guides me
With words I cannot write
It's the voice of an angel,
The voice of an angel,
The voice of an angel
Come to hold me close this night


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!