10/9/26

Pause for Prayer: SATURDAY 10/10


October 10 is the 24th World Day Against the Death Penalty, sponsored by the World Coalition Against the Death Penalty.  Given the recent news about Christa Pike and Nidal Hasan, this world wide observance is especially timely.

Here are two prayers for us to offer today: the first from Sr. Helen Prejean, CSJ and the second from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. You'll find a song for this day following the two prayers.

A Prayer for Justice

God of Compassion, you let your rain fall on the just and the unjust.
Expand and deepen our hearts so that we may love, as You love, even those among us who have caused the greatest pain by taking life. For there is in our land a great cry for vengeance as we fill up death row and kill the killers
in the name of justice, in the name of peace.
 
Jesus, our brother, you suffered execution at the hands of the state but you did not let hatred overcome you. Help us to reach out to victims of violence so that our enduring love may help them heal.
 
Holy Spirit of God, you strengthen us in the struggle for justice. Help us to work tirelessly for the abolition of state-sanctioned death and to renew our society in its very heart so that violence will be no more. Amen.
 
- Sr. Helen Prejean, CSJ 
 

Prayer to End the Use of the Death Penalty

Merciful Father, we ask your blessing on all we do to build a culture of life. Hear our prayers for those impacted by the death penalty.

• We pray for all people, that their lives and dignity as children of a loving God may be respected and protected in all stages and circumstances.

• We pray for victims of violence and their families, that they may experience our love and support and find comfort in your compassion and in the promise of eternal life.

• We pray for those on death row, that their lives may be spared, that the innocent may be freed and that the guilty may come to acknowledge their faults and seek reconciliation with you.

• We pray for the families of those who are facing execution, that they may be comforted by your love and compassion.

• We pray for civic leaders, that they may commit themselves to respecting every human life and ending the use of the death penalty in our land.

Compassionate Father, give us wisdom and hearts filled with your love. Guide us as we work to end the use of the death penalty and to build a society that truly chooses life in all situations.

We ask this Father through your Son Jesus Christ who lives and reigns with the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever.  Amen.
 
- USCCB
 
I searched for a long time for some music appropriate for this day's observance and the prayers above - I finally happened upon this song which I believe is perfect...
 
Death Row by Thomas Rhett
 
 If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!  
 
 
 
Yeah, just last week I went to prisonTo see some boys down on death rowBrought some guitars and my buddiesTo play some songs I thought they'd know, huhYeah, I could feel myself tremblin'When I shook one of their handsI thought that he would be a monsterIt turns out he's a whole lot like I am
 
Yeah, we talked huntin', we talked fishin'Like I do with boys back homeHow Jesus is the ticketAnd narrow is the roadAbout how all we need's forgiveness'Fore we see them streets of goldYeah, I learned a lot about livin' 
   from them boys down on death row
 
One of 'em's name was JohnnyAin't touched the grass in thirty yearsMaybe, I ain't supposed to feel sorry, nawBut it 'bout brought me to tearsThen it hit me, we're all humanAin't always proud of what we've doneEverybody's days are numberedOnly difference is they all know which one
 
Yeah, we talked huntin', we talked fishin'Like I do with boys back homeHow Jesus is the ticketAnd narrow is the roadAbout how all we need's forgiveness'Fore we see them streets of goldYeah, I learned a lot about livin' 
   from them boys down on death row
 
Whoa   Whoa  Whoa
 
One of 'em sang, 
   "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound"With one hand raised 
   and one foot chained to the groundYeah, he sang it like he knew he'd just been foundYeah, that next week, they laid him six feet down
 
Oh ohI can't say that he's in Heaven, 
   who am I to judge his soul?But Jesus don't play favorites, 
   ain't a name that He don't knowYeah, I learned that and then some, 
   from the boys down on death rowI learned all that and then some, 
   from the boys down on death row

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!