2/16/08

Simply Living Lent - II



Cross window in Finland's Tampere Cathedral


Simply Living Lent -
Week Two
Each Saturday in Lent you will find here, for the coming week, a prayer for Morning and Night and reminders for fasting and caring for the poor. (Click here for Week One)

Morning PrayerDear God,
They say you have a plan for the world
but I’m not sure that things are going “according to plan.”
And they say you have a plan for each one of us
but sometimes I have trouble figuring o
ut your plan for me
and I know that sometimes what I plan may not be what you plan…
Maybe this week you could help me understand your plan for me
just a little better.
Help me to see your plan, your hand, your direction
in my busyness and in my loneliness,
in my confusion and my insights, in my joys and sorrows,
in my strengths and fears, in my work, in my home, in my heart -
in the jumble my life often seems to be.
Plan some time for us to meet today, Lord (just you and me)
- and help me plan to show up for that meeting!
Oh, and I have a favor to ask of you, Lord, and here it is…
And there are some folks I know who need your help:
you know their names already, but let me mention them now…
Lord, in your love and mercy, hear my prayer…

Our Father...
Night PrayerAnother day is done, Lord!
I’m grateful that you stayed by my side
even when I followed my own plan and not yours.
Help me to follow more faithfully tomorrow!
Give me good rest, I pray,
and bring an end to the nightmare that is war in our world.
Send your angel of peace to shelter my family and friends,
and your children everywhere,
especially the poor, the innocent, and those who have been abused.
As I sleep this night, Lord,
fill me with the grace and strength I will need
to walk the path you have planned for me tomorrow…

Hail Mary...
Fasting
•This week, the particular food or beverage I will give up is...
•This week, the particular activity or pleasure I will give up is...
•This week, the old, bad habit I’ll work on is...

Caring for the Poor
•This week I’m donating groceries to the local food pantry 1
•This week I’m shopping for my gift for the Easter Giving Tree 1
•This week, I’m making a contribution 1
to my Lenten offering box or my favorite charity 1
•This week... 1

-ConcordPastor
You might print this post and place it where it will be at hand.
Adapt the options for Caring for the Poor

to your particular circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!