8/17/08

Browne vs. McCain



I read yesterday (and an eagle-eyed reader sent a note!) that Jackson Browne, who's been the subject of posts here, has sued presidential candidate John McCain:

(Reuters) - Rock star Jackson Browne has sued U.S. presidential candidate John McCain for copyright infringement, accusing the presumptive Republican nominee of using the singer's 1977 hit "Running on Empty" in a campaign ad without permission.

The suit, filed on Thursday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, also names the Republican National Committee and the Ohio Republican Party as defendants. It seeks a permanent injunction against further use of Browne's music and at least $75,000 in damages.
The campaign spot mocks McCain's Democratic rival for the White House, Barack Obama, for suggesting the nation conserve gasoline through proper tire inflation, with Browne's most famous song, "Running on Empty," playing in the background.
-Read the complete article by Steve Gorman
The post on Jackson Browne continues to bring new visitors to this blog on just about a weekly basis as Browne fans Google his name and come up my review of his Providence concert this past May.

And here are the lyrics to Runnin' on Empty

RUNNIN' ON EMPTY
(by Jackson Browne)

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields
In sixty-five I was seventeen and runnin' up one-o-one
I don't know where I'm runnin' now, I'm just runnin' on

Runnin' on - runnin' on empty
Runnin' on - runnin' blind
Runnin' on - runnin' into the sun
But I'm runnin' behind

Gotta do what you can just to keep your love alive
Trying not to confuse it with what you do to survive
In sixty-nine I was twenty-one and I called the road my own
I don't know when that road turned onto the road I'm on

Runnin' on - runnin' on empty
Runnin' on - runnin' blind
Runnin' on - runnin' into the sun
But I'm runnin' behind

Everyone I know, everywhere I go
People need some reason to believe
I don't know about anyone but me
If it takes all night, that'll be all right
If I can get you to smile before I leave

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
I don't know how to tell you all just how crazy this life feels
I look around for the friends that I used to turn to to pull me through
Looking into their eyes I see them running too

Runnin' on - runnin' on empty
Runnin' on - runnin' blind
Runnin' on - runnin' into the sun
But I'm runnin' behind

Honey you really tempt me
You know the way you look so kind
I'd love to stick around but I'm runnin' behind
You know I don't even know what I'm hoping to find
Runnin' into the sun but I'm runnin' behind


-ConcordPastor

2 comments:

  1. Austin,
    I've always liked Jackson Browne, but now I really like him!

    Good for him, suing the RNC and McCain. He should go for millions!

    Gene Vavrick

    (Hope you're enjoying the late days of summer!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard on WBZ this morning that George Bush is blaming the Democrats for the price of gas. Go figure. Running on Empty.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!