8/19/08

Small plates - big tastes!


Image by Embargo

I've raved about Embargo in Hyannis before and so you won't be surprised when I report that recent visits have been just as rewarding.

A summer menu offers some of the year-round favorites as well as some seasonal entries. This post covers several visits so, no: I didn't eat all of this in one sitting!

You know my love for insalata caprese and Embargo did not disappoint with its rendition. The caprese appeared on a rectangular plate. On one side were four or five large chunks of heirloom tomatoes in several hues, fresh, firm and delicious, drizzled with a balsamic reduction and lemon oil. In the middle of the plate was a generous portion of what I believe was frisee, a kind of chicory that brings a just slightly bitter taste to the plate. I'll need to check on the accuracy of my identification of the greens here and will report back to you if I'm incorrect.

While the frisee was not in itself too bitter, I'm not convinced that it balanced well with the heirlooms on one side and the homemade mozzarella with basil on the other. No caprese would be complete without this cheese and herb and the presentation here was one I've not tried before. The mozzarella had been flattened, sprinkled with finely chopped basil, rolled and then cut into four or five slices, drizzled with dressing. That I ordered this again on a subsequent visit tells me that the salad was certainly a success in spite of the lingering question about the greens.

There are a few entrees on the menu at Embargo but the majority of items are tapas and therefore "small plates." No argument here with that approach! I was surprised then when my order of PEI mussels in a Thai curry broth produced a bowl of nearly two dozen shells steamed open and sitting in a spicy soup. I'd asked the server how much heat I might expect in the curry broth and was assured that it was on the mild side - just how I like it. Well, it was a little hotter than mild but I adjusted easily and am pleased that my tolerance in this regard is growing. The mussels were large and the broth delicious. My server offered me some bread for dipping and that was a great suggestion.

Equally a large portion was the country pate served with sherry vinegar peppers and a dijon aioli. The pate was more than an inch thick, and wrapped on four sides by bacon. A country pate is coarser than the smooth and spreadable variety. At Embargo it's presented on a small cutting board, the pate topped with mild pieces of pepper made even sweeter by the sherry vinegar. To the side of the pate were five perfect puddles of the mustard for adding a little zip to the main element. Put the three together (pate, peppers and dijon) and you have a delicious cold appetizer. This could easily have served two, even four diners!

I also enjoyed some Kobe beef sliders. If you haven't tried Kobe beef, imagine the very best burger you've ever had in your life: the tastiest, juiciest burger ever. Now imagine a burger that exceeds that taste experience by at least a factor of 3. That's how good these are. I've noted before that they are served here with pickled red onion, a chipotle catsup and crispy bacon. The little buns are warm on the outside and toasted to perfection on the inside.

(On Sunday nights the sliders are half price and on Tuesday nights all the tapas are half price. Guess where I'll be this evening?)

I've got more time to spend in Hyannis so I'm sure another Embargo report will come your way soon.

-ConcordPastor

3 comments:

  1. WOW you sound like the Phantom Chief!!!!

    Em- BAR -go now that's a creative sign / logo. Have Fun! ROB

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmm......wish we could meet you for dinner. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you don't have time for a second job. You would make a great restaurant reviewer.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!