8/30/08

Word for the Week of August 31


Image posted at Angelheart

This verse from Sunday's gospel is one of the most familiar in the Christian scriptures but also one we need to read, hear and reflect on over and over again:

Then Jesus said to his disciples,
“Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself,
take up his cross, and follow me.

Then Jesus said to his disciples,
“Whoever wishes to come after me must deny herself,
take up her cross, and follow me.

Sometimes, the Lord's word can seem too much to bear or, in this case, too much to take up... In those times it's good to ask, How much of my cross am I able to take up today? How far am I able to carry it today? Where will my desire to follow Jesus take me today?

(The image at the top of the post is part of an interesting series at AngelHeart.)

-ConcordPastor


3 comments:

  1. The car is packed with items deemed to be important and we are hitting the road within the hour evacuating our home in New Orleans. Hoped not to have to do this again and it all seems so soon after Katrina.

    Your blog has helped us along while rebuilding this past year+, so thank you. I'll be turning off the laptop after this post. The e-mails to friends/family have been sent with an outline of our evacuation route.

    Let's hope this is better than the last time in so many ways. It was heartening to see that at least this time transportation for those without had been planned and seems to be working.

    Keep us in your prayers.

    Just call us...residents of Lowerline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart and prayers go out to you, anonymous. Hopefully your family, friends, and home will all be safe upon your return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post above this one is in response to the request for prayers from the residents of Lowerline.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!