11/29/08

And they call it Black Friday...


Image from CrunchGear

They call the day after Thanksgiving "Black Friday" because the sales on that day can pull retail stores out of the red and into the black as the year's end approaches. This year, the sales day of all sales days is darkened for a different reason.

There's been mixed reaction to an earlier post on the commercialization of Christmas and it has been suggested that you just have to let some things go... I understand and appreciate that sentiment. Still, something's seriously and tragically unhinged in the cultural value system if the incident reported below occurs even once, at any time of the year, and particularly during a "pre-Christmas sale..."
Wal-Mart Employee Trampled to Death
By Robert McFadden and Angela Macropoulos for the New York Times

The throng of Wal-Mart shoppers had been building all night, filling sidewalks and stretching across a vast parking lot at the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, N.Y. At 3:30 a.m., the Nassau County police had to be called in for crowd control, and an officer with a bullhorn pleaded for order.

Tension grew as the 5 a.m. opening neared. Someone taped up a crude poster: “Blitz Line Starts Here.”By 4:55, with no police officers in sight, the crowd of more than 2,000 had become a rabble, and could be held back no longer. Fists banged and shoulders pressed on the sliding-glass double doors, which bowed in with the weight of the assault. Six to 10 workers inside tried to push back, but it was hopeless.

Suddenly, witnesses and the police said, the doors shattered, and the shrieking mob surged through in a blind rush for holiday bargains. One worker, Jdimytai Damour, 34, was thrown back onto the black linoleum tiles and trampled in the stampede that streamed over and around him.

Others who had stood alongside Mr. Damour trying to hold the doors were also hurled back and run over, witnesses said. Some workers who saw what was happening fought their way through the surge to get to Mr. Damour, but he had been fatally injured, the police said.

Emergency workers tried to revive Mr. Damour, a temporary worker hired for the holiday season, at the scene, but he was pronounced dead an hour later at Franklin Hospital Medical Center in Valley Stream.Four other people, including a 28-year-old woman who was described as eight months pregnant, were treated at the hospital for minor injuries.

Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, who is in charge of the investigation for the Nassau police, said the store lacked adequate security. He called the scene “utter chaos” and said the “crowd was out of control.” As for those who had run over the victim, criminal charges were possible, the lieutenant said. “I’ve heard other people call this an accident, but it is not,” he said. “Certainly it was a foreseeable act.”
...

Some shoppers who had seen the stampede said they were shocked. One of them, Kimberly Cribbs of Queens, said the crowd had acted like “savages.” Shoppers behaved badly even as the store was being cleared, she recalled. “When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, ‘I’ve been on line since yesterday morning,’ ” Ms. Cribbs told The Associated Press. “They kept shopping.”

Wal-Mart security officials and the police cleared the store, swept up the shattered glass and locked the doors until 1 p.m., when it reopened to a steady stream of calmer shoppers who passed through the missing doors and battered door jambs, apparently unaware that anything had happened.
...

(for the complete story)
H/T to KD
-ConcordPastor

12 comments:

  1. This story is obviously a tragedy, and hopefully, an uncommon one. As is the tragedy of the Lynn father who confessed to killing his young son by dismembering him and throwing his remains in trash bins. Senseless tragedies that make people wonder where the goodness in this world has gone. Then in the same newscast was the story of the couple that put the ad on craigslist and offered their home and food to strangers on Thanksgiving day. These stories sometimes make others want to continue the "good". Sort of like a "pay it forward". Maybe we all have to show more goodness and set better examples rather than trampling people who are in our way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel confidant that I make it through the Holiday Season pretty much unscathed since I do not watch a lot of television, I do not participate in any Black Friday shopping events nor does my front yard erupt with tacky, inflatable plastic nativity scenes or flying Santas with sound effects and lights. In fact, usually I can take a step back from this whole thing, shake my head as the judgmental youth that I am (some say snobbish, I protest to that) and chuckle at the ignorance or the irony that I see through the months of November and December.

    I laugh at the near demented and obvious pleas of retailers and manufacturers to sell you their wares, thinking (quite rightly I guess because it happens every year) that a plastic action hero covered in lead paint, or an 82 piece drill set will make for the perfect family holiday (or show your love with a 200 piece drill set), or a diamond, a controlled market otherwise one of the most abundant stones on Earth will be the ONLY way to prove your love to a woman this Christmas. To be honest I guess a ruby or emerald or just saying, "I love you" is too gauche. They have also made it easier, you can buy diamonds in the mall! Thank goodness for that, a drill and a diamond all under the same roof! How thoughtful of them. Not to mention you can do all this with a Starbuck's coffee in your non dominant, card-swiping hand.

    So maybe I fibbed, in fact this is one of the most distressing periods for me every year. Sure I can take a step back and laugh at a few things, but the gist is that it happens. People are suckered in to malls at 4AM for "Door Buster Deals" because somewhere down the line someone told them that spending money on gifts proves you are a parent that cares. Parents everywhere hear, "Don't be that parent that has a sad child at Christmas that only opened 12 presents, you need 13!" and it shocks us into buying that last trinket at the checkout line or on the way out of the Mall; no forethought no planning, just guilt and sheer numbers.

    Hearing about this Black Friday death at Wal Mart shocks and saddens me, but yet it does not surprise me. I am pained by the passing of the employee, but on the other hand, how many more injuries and deaths happened yesterday across the United States because of our fervor to buy and buy and buy some more. Wal Mart rolls back their prices from $X.98 to $X.89 on select items, a whopping 9 cent savings, throw "lowest deals of the year" on TV with happy rich, white people in a big kitchen laughing or heading into their new Volvo Station Wagon and you get a herd of people and a trampled man who was only hired to work the Holiday schedule.

    So, at the end of the day I can feel confidant that I can make it through the Holiday Season unscathed, but every year I am disappointed and every year I feel a little less Christmas Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been off the blogs for a few days, other than posting to my own, so just catching up here.

    As for the Pampers ad, I don't watch too much TV either and I have not seen it. (And for the record, I would say that a Newhart marathon is good use of TV watching when one is going to do it!)

    I think that we are in a time in which we are constantly inundated with words and images and strong reactions come - at least in my opinion - as a result of this barrage.

    That is in no way meant to minimalize anyone's strong reaction. Not having seen the ad, I won't comment on it specifically, but I will say this...

    We are in a time of this constant pressure of images, words, sounds, thoughts and ideas along with all manner of blurred boundaries. We are in a time of confusion about the glorification of the individual and yet the cry of the community.

    Anyway, this rant runs long - but it is to say that I do not think that you are a curmudgeon if your thoughts lead you to healing by informing us and continuing to act in your own life and ministry.

    And that is what I think is happening here.

    In the meantime - may God have mercy on us all. These things ask us to look within and see what we have become and we are all in some way connected to this world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive me Pastor, but I believe you may be barking up the wrong tree. Sorry, but please hear me out. Not being appalled by stores opening at 4am the day after Thanksgiving or piped in Christmas carols in the grocery store does not mean that I don't think the death of this young man at WalMart is not barbaric. And, like the police officer, not an accident, but "a foreseeable event." And, I don't think in the big picture of things that this young man's death is fair.
    It gets added onto the multiple grim diagnoses and non-survivable injuries I see week after week in my work and on the news. The ones that if I were the Grand Chess Master of the Universe I would arrange totally differently--more fairly. But I am not the Grand Chess Master and He does not share his Wisdom with me, but asks that I live the questions, so I try to do so with some effort and grace.
    As far as the larger culture around us and how it addresses Christmas, since when was Jesus' life centered in the larger culture? His center was along the margins. I think each family forms their own counter-culture and finds a tradition or more that quietly defines Christmas for them. And while Christmas is touted as the "Season of Joy" there is the hint of melancholy and the impermanance of life that comes with it. Afterall, we all know what happens to that baby boy some 33 years and 4 months later. It's incredibly sad. I see the frenzy of Christmas as an effort to hold that at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so sorry for the trampled man's family. Very tragic. Very sad. Very pathetic. I don't know what "bargains" are worth standing in line for at 3:30 am at a Walmart. Our values really have run amuck. Since our country's economy depends on all of this shopping and the holiday shopping season is a make or break situation for many retailers (including independent stores in each of our communities,) I don't know what the answer is. But the senseless death of this man shows that we need to search for better approaches than what we now have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The challenge for us Catholics is to try our best to observe the Advent season (and the entire Christmas season) and set examples for others. It is difficult and some say the church should do away with Advent. We need it now more than ever! But how can we promote this season when the world outside our church and home does not? Is it possible?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great discussion here!

    Anne: I'm curious... who is suggesting that we do away with Advent?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne: I'm curious... who is suggesting that we do away with Advent?

    I heard it from parishioners while decorating for Advent one year when they asked why we just didn't put up the Christmas decorations. I heard it at a family gathering while discussing the Advent wreath on a table. At times like this, I do enjoy being the friendly liturgical catechist( I don't preach or criticize) although some may think I'm pretty boring. At least I give them something to think about!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Anne, for the clarification. It would be interesting to know how many others have the same inclination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do away with Advent? I love Advent- I would not want to do away with it.

    That said, I like that Anne takes the role of friendly, liturgical catechist. There seems to be wisdom in that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the season of Advent and I particularly love Sunday Evening Advent Prayer. So peaceful. It helps to allay all of the craziness of the Christmas rush. It makes me realize what is truly important at this time of year. So despite the fact that I am as guilty as anyone of the running around part, at least I have those 45 minutes or so of quietude and prayerful song. Thank you, CP, for providing us with this beautiful respite.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!