11/30/08

A new Year of Grace: 2009



(A slightly edited "rerun" of a post from December 2007)

Yesterday morning I celebrated a little ritual which it has been my pleasure to observe now for some 35 years: I moved the ribbons in the Sacramentary to the First Sunday of Advent and to the Advent prefaces. The ribbon for the Advent Sunday prayers brings us back to the front of the Sacramentary such that the left hand page does not easily lie flat but buckles up a bit against the right hand which holds a year's worth of pages yet to be prayed through. A small task, I know, but one which reminds me that the Church is beginning a new year, another year of celebrating our life in Christ and the saving events and grace that bind us together as the Body of Christ. As the seasons of nature repeat and bring us back to spring each year, so do the seasons of worship cycle back to these Advent days.

Thirty five Advent wreaths; thirty-five Christmases; thirty-four Lents, Holy Weeks, Triduums and Pentecosts: and thirty-five years of many Sundays in Ordinary Time! These thirty-five years have found me ministering in St. Ann Parish in Wollaston, MA; at Moreau Seminary and Morrissey Hall at the University of Notre Dame; at St. Ann Parish in Boston for Northeastern University and Emerson College; at St. Joseph Parish in Medway, MA and for the past 14 years at Our Lady Help of Christians Parish and now Holy Family Parish in Concord, MA.

I moved that ribbon in suburban parishes, in campus chapels and in a city parish. That ribbon- turning began when I wasn't altogether sure of where the ribbons were supposed to go and then through a few years of wondering if I should remain in the ribbon-turning priesthood. I changed the ribbon in years early-on when I found the Sacramentary to be somewhat limiting and into the years when it became an old and trusted friend. I've actually worn out a Sacramentary or two and even before trading in for a new copy, the ribbons can and sometimes do need to be replaced.

I've turned that ribbon back to Advent in good times and in bad, in years of the Church's grace and years of its disgrace. Those ribbons and the book they mark have been with me for more than three decades and I thank God for the grace of all those years born of the prayers and rites the Sacramentary offers us. And now a new Year of Grace has begun and I found myself at 5:00 yesterday afternoon witnessing the lighting of the first candle on our parish Advent wreath and then opening the book to where the ribbon led me and praying these beautiful words for the thirty-fifth time:

Father in heaven,
our hearts desire the warmth of your love
and our minds are searching
for the light of your Word.
Increase our longing for Christ our Savior
and give us the strength to grow in love,
that the dawn of his coming
may find us rejoicing in his presence
and welcoming the light of his truth.

A happy and blessed Advent to you all!

-ConcordPastor

2 comments:

  1. A real great post. Thank you for your dedication & honorable service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one am so happy that you remained in the "ribbon-turning priesthood"! You are an inspiration to so many of us. Thank you, CP, for all you do. May the grace of the new liturgical year shower you with many blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!