12/10/08

Daily Advent Evening Prayer: Second Wednesday


Annunciation by Henry Ossawa Tanner: BE SURE to click on this image for a larger version!

While Advent seeks to prepare us for the Christ's coming, it is at the same time a Marian season for it was in Mary's womb that the Word became flesh and entered our world.

Sting's rendition of Gabriel's Message tells the story of the Annunciation when the angel came to tell Mary that she would bear the Christ child. The constant fluttering sound in the background makes the wings of an angel's presence felt as we listen...


H/T for the song to Rocco via Paul

Gabriel's Message

The angel Gabriel from heaven came
His wings as drifted snow
His eyes as flame
"All hail" said he "thou lowly maiden Mary,
Most highly favoured maid," Gloria!

"For known a blessed mother thou shalt be,
All generations laud and honor thee,
Thy Son shall be Emanuel,
By seers foretold
Most highly favoured maid," Gloria!

Then gentle Mary meekly bowed her head
"To me be as it pleaseth God," she said,
"My soul shall laud and magnify his holy name."
Most highly favoured maid Gloria!

Of her Emanuel, the Christ was born
In Bethlehem all on a Christmas morn
And everyone throughout the world forever saved
Most highly favoured maid Gloria!

Traditional - Words by Sabine Baring Gould

Gracious God,
as an angel came to tell Mary
what you asked of her, what you planned for her -
send a messenger, send messages,
to tell me what you would make of my life...

"Call me" in my thoughts,
in my imagination and in my dreams:
give me glimpses and clues
of how you might work through me...

"Text me" when I read the scriptures
and help me find in your Word
some signs of what you want of me...

"Email me" and fill my heart's inbox
with messages of the plans you have for my life
- and remind me that you wait for my reply...

"Write me" on your heart
that I might trust, even when you seem absent,
that I am close to you and you are close to me...

Open my eyes and ears to those around me every day
who are messengers of your Word to me,
whose lives are messages waiting for me to read...

Glory to you, O God,
for angels and messengers of all kinds
and for the message of your Word made flesh: Emanuel...

Our Father...

-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard this before....and I love it..... You sent me searching to see if I could find it on YouTube. But the only Sting version I have found so far I don't like the video it has with it. Found all sorts of other vocal arrangements of the same song though...but none with quite the same vocal quality that Sting brings to it.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!