12/26/08

Word for the Weekend - December 28


The Presentation in the Temple: Simeon (holding Jesus) and Anna (on the right); Mary with the two turtle doves and Joseph. This image illustrates the longer form of the gospel for this weekend's liturgy. (I've been unable to locate the source of the image.)

I'm late with this week's Word for the Weekend - other liturgical realities kept me busy midweek!

The Sunday that falls in the octave of Christmas is Holy Family Sunday.

Take some time to read over the scriptures and background material on them as a way of preparing for Mass this weekend. Got kids? We've got material to help them prepare too and you'll find it here.

You'll note that the lectionary provides a longer and shorter version of the second reading and of the gospel for this weekend's liturgy. If you were preaching, which versions would you choose?

-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

  1. I would preach on the longer versions. Today, the day after Christmas, I overheard an exchange of angry words between a grown son and his mother that upset me terribly. All I could think of was the Peace of Christmas surely didn't last very long. Sad. Perhaps your homily could encourage each of us to always try to keep the spirit of Christmas alive in our dealings with people and most especially with our families.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!