3/25/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Annunciation, March 25


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12









Word for the Day

The angel Gabriel was sent from God
to a town of Galilee called Nazareth,
to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph,
of the house of David,
and the virgin's name was Mary.
And coming to her, he said,
"Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you."
But she was greatly troubled at what was said
and pondered what sort of greeting this might be.
Then the angel said to her,
"Do not be afraid, Mary,
for you have found favor with God..."
(see today's readings for Luke 1)

Reflection
The feast of the Annunciation
celebrates the angel's announcement to Mary
that she would conceive and bear the Christ into our world

Imagine the openness of Mary's heart
to hear the angel's voice, the message,
the word that that the Word would be come flesh
in her own flesh...

Imagine that God desires to speak to us, too,
a word to comfort, heal and call us
to know the depths of his love...

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a heart aching for a message,
looking for an angel,
listening for a word from you...

My heart waits to hear
what you might speak to me,
to my life, to my worries, to my fears...

My heart waits for to hear you say,
"Do not be afraid... I am with you...
I am always with you... I will never leave you...
I am beside you, before you and behind you,
above and below and within you..."

My heart strains to hear you say,
"You have found favor with me...
I care for you... I care about you...
I watch for you... I watch out for you...
You have a place in my heart,
a place I keep only for you
and I look for you in my heart..."


Annunciation by Henry Ossawa Tanner

Speak to my heart, Lord,
send an angel, a message, a word...
Speak to me as you spoke to Mary:
when I am not expecting you...
when I am confused and do not understand...
when I am afraid of what tomorrow may bring...

Fill my heart with your grace
that I might see every angel you send my way,
that I might hear every word you speak to me,
that I might ponder whatever might be
the message of love you offer...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen.
2009LentPostCollection
Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

  1. ...I want and need to find comfort and peace and calmness...
    but, I do not see it or hear it or feel it- at all.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!