3/7/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Saturday, Week One


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12










Word for the Day

"You have heard that it was said,
You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.
But I say to you, love your enemies,
and pray for those who persecute you,
that you may be children of your heavenly Father...
(see today's readings for Matthew 5)

Reflection
Sometimes it's hard enough to love my neighbors
- I often fail at that -
but here's the Lord telling me to love my enemies!
God asks a lot. Really. A lot.
I've got so many ways of justifying hating my enemies,
hating those who have harmed me, hurt me,
rejected and abandoned me.
So many ways...
But this Lent thing is all about returning to God,
even now, with my whole heart
and that doesn't leave a lot of room
for hating a select few in my life...


Prayer
Once again, you seem to want too much, Lord.
But I know you ask nothing of me
that you haven't already given me.
You love me in spite of my sins, large and small...
You love me in spite of my indifference,
my selfishness, my spiritual laziness...

And you love those who hate me, who have hurt me...

Some days I just don't understand how you do that, Lord,
but you must see something in them that I don't see...
You must love something in them
that I can't find...

Help me to see with the eyes of your heart, Lord,
and to find what you find lovable
in my enemies...

Hold them in your hands for me to see,
and teach me to forgive and to love them
as you have forgiven and love me...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!