3/8/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Second Sunday


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12










Word for the Day

Then Peter said to Jesus,
"Rabbi, it is good that we are here!
Let us make three tents:
one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."
(see today's readings for Mark 9)

Reflection
Peter wanted to contain his mountaintop experience
of the transfigured Jesus:
to build a tent, a simple tabernacle,
for keeping hold of the moment's beauty and power...
I'm like that, too.
When times are good I want them to last forever.
When times are not so good, I easily forget the better days.
The Lord does take us to mountain tops
but we don't live there - we descend again
back into the day to day...
My heart, which goes up the mountain and down again,
is the tabernacle of God's presence
where the moments of joy must be treasured and kept
for remembering them on difficult days...

Prayer
I return to you with all my heart today, Lord,
and ask you to help me find and remember
the moments of surety, trust and hope
that you and I have shared in the past,
on heights I may have almost forgotten...

Stir up my memories
of times when I was so sure
of your presence and love
and help me find the tabernacle
where then you pitched your tent
within my heart of hearts...

Up or down the mountains of my days,
I know you are with me, Lord:
help me find you
even now...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!