3/29/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Sunday, Week Five


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12










Word for the Day

I will place my law within them and write it upon their hearts;
I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
(see today's readings for Jeremiah 31)

Reflection
The tenderness and intimacy of God's love
for his beloved Israel
gives the lie to the notion
that the God of the Hebrew scriptures
is a distant, angry God...

The God of Israel seeks and seduces his people
into a relationship as intimate
as marriage...

Christ is the greatest expression
of God's desire to be with us
for in Christ God becomes one with us
and invites us to be one with him...

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
and offer you my heart,
waiting for you to write your law
upon my inmost being...

Inscribe me with your word, Lord,
that I may never forget
that you have spoken to my soul...

Tattoo my heart
with an image of your love
that I may never forget your presence in me...

Write your law of love upon my spirit,
engrave me with your command
that I may have it before me always...

Leave me a message, Lord,
a love letter, a note, even a word
to remind me I am yours
and you are mine...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!