3/17/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Wednesday, Week Three


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12










Word for the Day

However, take care and be earnestly on your guard
not to forget the things which your own eyes have seen,
nor let them slip from your memory as long as you live,
but teach them to your children and to your children's children.
(see today's readings for Deuteronomy 4)

Reflection
It is the voice of wisdom in Jewish prayer
that calls us to remember always
the good things God has done for us,
especially those we have seen with our own eyes...

It's human nature to forget yesterday's blessings
when our desires are set on something new today
or when today's burdens turn us in on ourselves...

To pray is to remember,
to work at remembering the goodness of God
lest our greed or grief lead us to forget
the Lord's many blessings...

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a forgetful and easily distracted heart...

As when clouds curtain the sun's light
and cheat me of its warmth
so today's worries can steal my memories
of blessings bright and warm
from long ago, last week and yesterday...

My desires for what I envy, Lord,
so swiftly sweep away my memories
of your promises made and kept
long ago, last week and this morning...

I have felt your hand upon mine, Lord;
I have heard your word of mercy;
I have tasted the sweetness of your presence;
I have known the wisdom of your Spirit;
I have seen you move among your people;
I have found you in the corners of my heart...

Let me guard and protect and forget nothing
of how you have been my friend, my savior,
my redeemer, my shepherd, my rock...

I return to you today, Lord,
with a forgetful and easily distracted heart:
waken my memories of how you have loved me
and show me, this day,
how you will love me anew...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

  1. ..."with a forgetful and easily distracted heart... "

    VERY easily distracted... :(

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!