4/5/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Palm Sunday


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12











Word for the Day
Christ Jesus, though he was in the form of God,
did not regard equality with God
something to be grasped.
Rather, he emptied himself,
taking the form of a slave,
coming in human likeness;
and found human in appearance,
he humbled himself,
becoming obedient to the point of death,
even death on a cross.
Because of this, God greatly exalted him
and bestowed on him the name
which is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus
every knee should bend,
of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that
Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
(see today's readings for Philippians 2)

Reflection
The lyrics of this ancient Christian hymn
articulate beautifully
Christ's emptying of himself for us
so that we might be filled
with the life he won for us on the Cross...

What Christ did, we are to do, too:
empty ourselves in service of others
that we might be filled not with ourselves
but with the one whose name
is above every other name,
Jesus Christ the Lord!

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a heart needing to be emptied,
a heart needing to be filled...

You showed us the way, Lord,
humbling yourself to the Father's will
and inviting us to humble ourselves
in the same way...

I don't find it easy to empty my life
of what I want to keep, to collect, to hold...

Sometimes I don't even find it easy
to let go my burdens:
sometimes my burdens have become my friends
and it's hard to let them go...

Teach my heart to know, Lord,
what to keep and what to lose,
what to hold on to and what to let go of,
what to treasure and what to throw away...

As I let go of what I don't need
fill my heart with a hunger and thirst
for what truly nourishes me
and strengthens me in my faith...

Give me joy in letting go
and peace in being filled with you,
with your Word and with your love...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg


-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

  1. If I remember correctly, you said that you would publish a book of your Monday morning prayers when you had 52 (a year's worth.) I hope that you will also publish your "Daily Prayer in Lent" series. These would make wonderful spiritual companions. I can see the covers now: the heart and the coffee cup!

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!