4/4/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Saturday, Week Five


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12










Word for the Day

I will turn their mourning into joy,
I will console and gladden them after their sorrows.
(see today's readings for Jeremiah 31)

Reflection
What the Lord promises in these two lines
speaks to every human being...

We all have grief, we all have sorrows,
we all wait for the consolation and healing
that give way to joy...

We are on the eve of Holy Week:
Christ shares our grief and sorrow
and in him we find our cause for joy...

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a heart familiar with grief,
with a soul become friends with sorrow,
with a longing for consolation...

In the week ahead, Lord,
open my heart to your sharing
in the grief and sorrows of all,
in the sorrows and grief of my own heart...

You know the burdens I carry, Lord:
carry them with me, lighten my load,
encourage and console me
as I seek the peace you promise...

Even before my sorrow is behind me,
before I lay down my grief,
let me find peace in your presence,
healing in your consolation
and joy in your promise of peace...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!