10/5/09

Monday Morning Offering - 67


Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

Like a song that keeps playing
in the back of my mind, Lord,
a sentence I read a few weeks ago*
keeps praying in the corners of my heart...
Who I truly am
is who I am in God
and nothing more...
Falling asleep, driving to the office,
sitting in church, in the middle of meetings -
these words keep praying within me,
'round the edges of my day...

So this morning I offer you my desire, Lord,
to know who I truly am...

I offer you my desire to shed
my false perceptions of who I am:
they are lies I tell myself...

Help me let go of what keeps me from
knowing myself as you know me,
seeing myself as you see me,
loving myself as you love me...

I offer you my desire, Lord,
to know who I am in you:
to come to believe
that, truly, I am in you and you are in me;
that in you I live and move and have my being;
that apart from you I would have nothing,
apart from you I would not be...

I offer you my desire, Lord,
to believe that you love me for who I am,
for the person you made me to be:
that who I am in you -and nothing more-
is what you ask me to be;
that I need not prove myself to you or pretend
that I am someone other than myself
to make you or others love me...

Who I truly am
is who I am in you, my God,
and nothing more...
Help me to know, to trust, Lord,
that the person you made me to be
is the one you want me to be:
that what you have given me is just enough;
that what I think I'm lacking I don't really need
to be and become who I truly am in you...

Help me find peace, Lord,
in coming to know the person I am in you:
open my heart and mind to your grace and strength
when I am frightened and unsure;
and touch me with your healing
when I am weak and wounded...

Make me mindful, Lord, of others who are also searching,
desiring to become who they are in you -- and nothing more...

Teach us to be patient with one another,
caring and understanding...

This Monday morning and every night and day this week,
l
et me find my peace in you, Lord,
in whom I live and move and have my being...

Amen.

*Here's the sentence in context

-ConcordPastor

3 comments:

  1. Before I go to bed -- it IS Monday morning and I do have to get up in three hours to catch a plane -- I read your prayer and prayed it. Thanks. And thanks for letting me link my Monday Morning Meditation, which I just finished, to your prayer. I hope what I have written will not embarrass you. But anyway, people can come to your blog and finish off their reading with a strong prayer.

    Thanks again, and God bless you.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful prayer on a bright monday morning, the first time that the SUN has shown itself in Manila after the two SUPER typhoons that struck our country.

    Thank God for this beautiful morning, we have HOPE. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. those words keep following me too-
    and have found their way into my prayers, too-
    ...and your prayer this morning- it is just what I have been praying lately (though my prayer didn't have as many graceful words, or no words at all, but feelings, confusing feelings... )

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!