1/1/10

Epiphany scriptures - and an Epiphany Trivia Quiz!


The Magi by He Qi

It's not too late to take a look at the scriptures before Mass on this weekend when we celebrate the Epiphany. Scripture passages, background material and hints for helping children understand the Word can all be found at this earlier post.

I have sometimes begun my Epiphany homily with a quiz on the gospel just proclaimed from Matthew: The Annual Epiphany Trivia Quiz!

How would you do on my quiz? To find the answers, run your cursor over the space after "Answer" in each question.

1) How many wise men are reported in Matthew's gospel?
Answer: None. Matthew mentions neither wise men nor wise women.

2) How many kings are reported in Matthew's gospel?
Answer: Two: Herod and the newborn king of the Jews.

3) How many magi does Matthew report?
Answer: Matthew does not say how many magi there were.

4) What are magi?
Answer: Magi were Persian Zoroastrian priests who practiced the occult.

5) Why do we imagine there were "three kings"?
Answer: Because the song (not the scripture) says so! And: the gifts presented numbered three and seemed costly enough to have come from royalty.

10 comments:

  1. CP - here in our house we got four out of five on the quiz. Not bad for the number of years we've heard it! :>)

    You got us on the trick "kings" question!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! 80% is a fine grade and you get 5 bonus points for being honest in your scoring - so I'll call that a very repectable B+!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...how do you find the answers again? I did try what you said to do, but I must be doing something wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricky, tricky FF. I will have you know that I received a failing grade but learned something in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you pass your cursor (mouse) over the space following "Answer:" it should reveal the answer. (On my computer, the answers appear in white print against a blue background.) If you continue to have problems with that, let me know and I'll post the answers here in the combox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, CP. Happy New Year!

    Regarding the image (and the others in the same style), was I wrong in thinking this artist was someone named Jesus Martinez Gordo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..oh, just got it... not sure what happened... (maybe holiday exhaustion/overload!)

    thanks-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul: to the best of my knowledge, the artist is the one you'll find by clicking on the link under the image on the post. Let me know if you think I've mis-attributed the work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, CP. Check out your comment to me on this post from July in which I used one of those images:

    http://paulsnatchko.blogspot.com/2009/07/him-whom-my-heart-loves.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good memory, Paul! I think I gave you erroneous info based on the Ephatha blog. Judging from the link on my post here, He Qi definitely seems to be the artist. Mea culpa!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!