4/13/10

To be filled with light and to shine...


Photo by Maciejo666

In the combox for this previous post, reader Agnes makes a telling connection between Thomas Merton's words and this poem from Mary Oliver. There's an Easter message here: "You have come into this world to be filled with light and to shine..."

When I Am Among the Trees

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness,
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."

- Mary Oliver in Thirst



Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!