Image from Monastery Icons
The oldest novena is the prayer of the first disciples from the time Jesus ascended to his Father (40 days after Easter) to the feast of Pentecost. These nine days are a time for us to pray for the coming of the Spirit upon the Church and upon each of us. Each day of the novena you'll find a post with scripture and prayer for the day. There's a widget at the top of the sidebar with 17 musical selections for this Pentecost novena. (If you are just joining us, find the Novena series to date by clicking on the link at the top of the side bar.)
Pentecost Novena to the Holy Spirit - Day 2
I am reminding you, brothers and sisters,
From the scriptures:
of the Gospel I preached to you,
which you indeed received
and in which you also stand.
Through it you are also being saved,
if you hold fast to the word I preached to you,
unless you believed in vain.
For I handed on to you as of first importance
what I also received:
that Christ died for our sins
in accordance with the Scriptures;
that he was buried;
that he was raised on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures...
1 Corinthians 15:1-8
• How have I forgotten the story and message of Jesus in my daily life?
What do I need to do to remember it more faithfully?
• Have I grown slack in "holding fast" to God's Word?
What might help me grow more faithful in response to God's Word?
• Of all that I believe, which things are of "first importance?"
• What will I pray for the Church this day?
• The Gifts of the Holy Spirit (as they are named in the Rite of Confirmation) include: wisdom... the spirit of understanding and right judgment... courage... the spirit of knowledge and reverence... and the spirit of wonder and awe in God's presence... For which of these gifts will I pray today?
• Choose one the songs from the top of the sidebar and make it part of this day's prayer...
Let us pray:
Come, Holy Spirit of God!
Refresh in us a love for the Lord's Word;
make firm God's truths in our hearts and lives;
and strengthen in us our faith, our hope and our love...
Come, Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your people
and kindle in us the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created
and you will renew the face of the earth.
Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory be...
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments