5/16/10

Pentecost 2010 Novena - Day 3


Image by Down East Stained Glass

The oldest novena is the prayer of the first disciples from the time Jesus ascended to his Father (40 days after Easter) to the feast of Pentecost. These nine days are a time for us to pray for the coming of the Spirit upon the Church and upon each of us. Each day of the novena you'll find a post with scripture and prayer for the day. There's a widget at the top of the sidebar with 17 musical selections for this Pentecost novena. (If you are just joining us, find the Novena series to date by clicking on the link at the top of the side bar.)


Pentecost Novena to the Holy Spirit - Day 3

From scripture:
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?

One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
to dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
that I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.

Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call;
have pity on me, and answer me.
Of you my heart speaks;
you my glance seeks.
Psalm 27:1, 4, 7-8

For reflection...

• Where in my own darkness
do I need to seek the light of the Holy Spirit?

• How in my own fears
do I need the strength of the Holy Spirit?

• When in my confusion
do I need to ask for the guidance of the Holy Spirit?

• What shall I pray for the Church this day?


• The Gifts of the Holy Spirit (as they are named in the Rite of Confirmation) include: wisdom... the spirit of understanding and right judgment... courage... the spirit of knowledge and reverence... and the spirit of wonder and awe in God's presence... For which of the Spirit's gifts will I pray today?


• Choose one of the songs from the top of the sidebar and let it be part of today's prayer...

Let us pray:
Come, Holy Spirit of God!
Be a light for my step along my life's path;
take away my fear and anxiety and help me trust;
show me the face of the Lord smiling upon me;
lead me to the intimacy I desire with my God...

Come, Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your people
and kindle in us the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created
and you will renew the face of the earth.

Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory be...


Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

2 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying these prayers and especially the incredibly beautiful stained glass windows. Thanks for the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been away from my computer and discover the Novena here, which I have started at home. Wonderful. You're offering here a beautiful companion to my own silent novena. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!