12/20/10

Monday Morning Offering - 124


Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

It’s almost time for us
to give one another gifts
on your birthday, Lord:
forgive us for getting that mixed up
-again- this year!

So, there's lots of wrapping going on:
paper and foil, gift bags and boxes,
tags and tape, ribbons and bows…

Everyone’s wrapped up in wrapping,
so what I offer you this morning, Lord,
are all the things I’m wrapped up in
that need unwrapping...

• I get wrapped up so easily in little things
while the big things that matter go undone…
Unwrap me, Lord, and keep me faithful
to what deserves my priority attention...
• I get wrapped up in things that waste my time
and time is one of my most precious possessions…
Unwrap me, Lord, and make me a good steward
of my days and nights, my work, my play and my rest…
• I get wrapped up in day dreams and fantasies
and leave untended the realities I don't want to face...
Unwrap me, Lord, and sharpen my vision
of what’s real and what will help me truly grow…
• I get wrapped up in desires
for what I should not or cannot have…
Unwrap me, Lord, and give me a hunger
for what truly nourishes and satisfies…
• I get wrapped up in hurt and anger
that sap my energy for reaching out generously…
Unwrap me, Lord, and free my heart
to be with others and to do for others…
• And I wrap myself up in my self, too:
in my fears, my worries, my disappointments…
Unwrap me, Lord,
and let me see the all blessings that are mine
and the gifts of your presence, your comfort,
your mercy and your strength...
Unwrap me, Lord,
so that others can know and enjoy my gifts…

Unwrap me, Lord,
so that nothing hides me from you and your love
and the love of those around me…
I have Christmas gifts for others, Lord,
but it’s your birthday that's coming,
so I offer you my unwrapped heart
my opened faith, my unsealed trust…
Unwrap me, Lord,
I need your help,
for I cannot unwrap myself…
Amen.

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 
yearofgrace2011

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this offering! It reminds me of the beautiful song, In the Bleak Midwinter and the verse that says, "What then can I give him, empty as I am? / If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb, / If I were a wise man, I would do my part, / What then can I give him: I must give my heart."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your totally original Good Morning Good God meditations so often take me by surprise and are just what I need. Thank you for this one. You have a splendid gift that allows you to express for others in fluid and holy language just what they wanted to be able to say for themselves.
    I gratefully unwrap this gift of yours today. Blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Nancy - you name well just what I believe happens here. I try to be open to the gifts God gives me and to share them with others. Blessings on you and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, would like to offer my unwrapped heart (AND my all-wrapped-up heart), my opened faith (AND my UNopened faith), my unsealed trust AND my SEALED trust (sealed so tightly)...

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!