12/18/10

The O Antiphons - December 18 - Adonai!

Image: Fiery Sunset by Christine Harkins

(More information on the O Antiphons) 

December 18
O Adonai



“O sacred Lord of ancient Israel, who showed yourself to Moses in the burning bush, who gave him the holy law on Sinai mountain: come, stretch out your mighty hand to set us free.”

O come, O come, O Lord of might,
Who to your tribes on Sinai's height

In ancient times did give the law,
In cloud and majesty and awe.


Isaiah had prophesied, “But He shall judge the poor with justice, and decide aright for the land’s afflicted. He shall strike the ruthless with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall slay the wicked. Justice shall be the band around his waist, and faithfulness a belt upon his hips.” (11:4-5); and “Indeed the Lord will be there with us, majestic; yes the Lord our judge, the Lord our lawgiver, the Lord our king, he it is who will save us.” (33:22).

With the fire of your love, O God,
cleanse and purify my heart with your Spirit
and prepare me to celebrate the birth of your Son...

Write your law upon my heart
and inscribe your truth upon my soul
that my words and deeds might show
the reign of your justice in my life...

Stretch forth your hand from the heavens, Lord,
and touch my days and nights
with the grace that is yours to give...

In this holy Advent time
let me stand in awe before your power
and the gentle ways you guide all my days...

Amen.


Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 
yearofgrace2011

1 comment:

  1. It's ok on this end and others are viewing it. Try rebooting your computer or refreshing the page.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!