6/30/11

A Monday Morning Offering - on a Thursday


Image: George Mendoza

It was three years ago today that I posted my first Monday Morning Offering. When I wrote that prayer it wasn't my intention to make it a weekly feature but: the response was very good; I enjoyed working on this theme; and now there have been 149 MMO's.  Now and again I've redacted and/or reposted an earlier piece so the actual count could be challenged.  Some day, when I have the time, I hope to edit and publish these as a collection but that's not any time soon.  For now, my MMO's are archived here.

I'm aware that it's the weekly MMO that regularly draws many readers to this page.  I've also been happy to hear how often readers have forwarded a MMO to family and friends to share in times of a particular need.

So, here on a Thursday is a repost of the first Monday Morning Offering...

O God,
it's Monday!

A new week stretches before me:
will you walk with me this week, Lord?

Slow me down before I go too fast
and give me strength to do well
the things I really need to accomplish...

Give me the wisdom to lay aside
the things I do not need,
the cares I need not carry,
the burdens I need not bear...

Amid the worries of this week, Lord,
calm my fears,
lift my spirits,
give me rest
- and keep me in today...

Open my eyes to any way
I might lighten the burdens of others
and give me the grace and courage to offer:
my hand, my arm, my shoulder;
my heart, my support, my comfort;
my smile, my story, my love...

Show me yourself this week, Lord:
open my ears to your voice,
my eyes to your beauty,
my heart to your mercy,
my mind to your counsel,
my weary limbs to your strength,
my mouth to give you praise...

A new week stretches before me, Lord:
help me to live it
a day at a time,
in your time,
in peace...

Amen.

(Click here for an archive of Monday Morning Offerings)

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

2 comments:

  1. "...keep me in today..."
    I've written it on my desk.
    Meighan

    ReplyDelete
  2. this morning, and now, this is very important and timely...
    thank you.
    this Thursday was very much like a Monday, which was just one other way your posting was...
    well, was somewhat of a miracle.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!