6/29/11

Word for the Weekend: July 3

Photo: BerryBrook

Although we re-enetered Ordinary Time the day after Pentecost, the next two Sundays were, as they are every year, trumped by Trinity Sunday and Corpus Christi.

So July 3 finds us on the Fourteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time.  But in the U.S.A. there's nothing very ordinary about the Fourth of July weekend!

Of course, the liturgical year does not reflect the civil calendar so this weekend's readings are not chosen in light of our nation's birthday. (Although it does occur to me that in liturgical language the "night before the Fourth" would be "the Vigil of the Nativity of the United States"!)

With just a click you can find this weekend's scriptures and background material on them.

Bringing children to Mass this weekend?  Check here for hints on how to help them prepare the Lord's Word.

From this weekend's gospel:
Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.

A few questions for reflection:
Do I "take the yoke of Christ" upon myself?
How do I experience Christ's yoke upon you life?
Do I learn from being in Christ's yoke?
Are there ways that I make that yoke harder, heavier
than it needs to be?


 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

1 comment:

  1. there are LOTS of ways that I make that yoke harder, heavier than it needs to be...
    but- I don't completely understand them and I don't know how and why...
    and I also don't completely understand even these questions that you have asked-

    oh, I wish I could let it go...

    let all the hard stuff go...

    it all doesn't really matter anyway, does it?

    to quote a song from Jewel- 'Hands',
    "...in the end, only kindness matters..."

    if only I could really live that-
    and live also by those words from the gospel...

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!