8/14/11

Assumption Day 2011



Tomorrow's Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary offers us the prayer known as the Magnificat (embedded in the gospel passage).  The Magnificat is Mary's canticle of praise upon her visit to Elizabeth after being told by the angel that she will conceive a child by the Holy Spirit and bear the Christ into the world.

As we prepare for and celebrate this feast, these musical settings of the Magnificat might enhance and deepen our prayer. Below the widget, you'll find the Latin version of the Magnificat text and check here for the readings of the day.



Magnificat anima mea Dominum
et exsultavit spiritus meus
in Deo salvatore meo,
quia respexit humilitatem
ancillæ suæ.Ecce enim ex hoc beatam
me dicent omnes generationes,
quia fecit mihi magna,
qui potens est,
et sanctum nomen eius,
et misericordia eius in progenies
et progenies timentibus eum.
Fecit potentiam in brachio suo,
dispersit superbos mente cordis sui;
depusuit potentes de sede
et exaltavit humiles.
Esurientes implevit bonis
et divites dimisit inanes.
Suscepit Israel puerum suum,
recordatus misericordiæ,
sicut locutus est ad patres nostros,
Abraham et semini eius in sæcula.
Image above: Holy Trinity

Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

  1. MAGNIFICAT ANIMA MEA DOMINUM


    My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
    I praise him, for he has done wondrous things,
    And in me grows his everlasting Word.

    Of all sweet syllables my ears have heard,
    The angel's Ave is the best of songs:
    My soul, proclaim the greatness of the Lord!

    If peace prevail, if sorrow bring a sword,
    My heart shall trust in heaven's governings:
    For in me grows Love's everlasting Word.

    Humility: the sparrow, slightest bird,
    Announces grace with the quick tips of his wings!
    All things proclaim the greatness of the Lord.

    I bless our God whom Abraham adored,
    Who loves the poor and rights the proud man's wrongs,
    And in me grows his everlasting Word.

    Heaven's omnipotent Spirit has been stirred;
    The harpist's fingers vivify the strings:
    My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
    And in me grows his everlasting Word.


    Dylan Thomas DeFreitas
    1995

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!