8/25/11

On not getting taken to the cleaners, while at the cleaners!

The Clothesline in Hyannis


When I'm on vacation on the Cape, I usually make at least one stop at the Clothesline Laundromat in Hyannis to refresh my supply of clean clothes.  A great feature of this laundromat is that it's also a WIFI site so I can blog and surf (the net!) while washing and drying my clothes.  Well, yesterday was laundry day.

I went from the beach to The Clothesline and then with everything all washed, dried, folded and hung, I left around 5:00 p.m.  It wasn't until after 8:00 p.m. when I was getting ready to go out for dinner that I realized I was missing my money clip with my cash and license and credit/ATM cards.  I recalled purchasing some Tide and Cling Free at The Clothesline and removing my cash from the clip to pay for those items.  The cash was still in my pocket - but the clip was AWOL.  My first guess was that the clip fell out of my pocket either while I was on my laptop or after I returned to my car.  Sadly, a thorough search of my car came up clip-less.

A quick ride to The Clothesline found the place already closed for the day.  Fortunately, I had cash in hand for dinner and went out to eat.  But my dinner was clouded by thoughts of my missing license and cards and the prospect that I might spend a good deal of a vacation day on the phone and online cancelling cards and seeking new ones.  And I was worried about how fast I'd get replacement cards.

I set my alarm for 6:30 a.m. so I could be at The Clothesline when they opened at 7:00 a.m.  When I walked in I went right to the service desk and asked if anyone had turned in a money clip the day before.  The clerk looked around and then reached under the counter and produced my money clip -- with license and cards all present and accounted for!

Unfortunately, the clerk didn't know who had returned it, "Just another customer," she said.  But that wasn't "just another customer" in my book.  He or she was an unknown neighbor who strengthened my trust that there are good people everywhere.

And that's how I didn't get taken to the cleaners, while at the cleaners! I'm pleased to share this story with you - and especially it's happy conclusion!

 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

4 comments:

  1. You know - that is the best news I have heard all day. Glad for you. Glad for the world. Whoever that person is - prayers for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom used to say "People are basically good". She was a wise woman. Glad it turned out so well...God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there was a "like" button (like Facebook has)..I would have clicked on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish this type of story made the newspapers and newscasts everyday. We lose sight of the innate goodness of the majority of people when inundated by the accounts of the minority who choose to do wrong. I especially love the fact that the good neighbor made no attempt to seek thanks or acknowledgement. Doing the right thing is its own reward.

    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!