2/13/12

Monday Morning Offering - 180

Morning Coffee: George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

This morning, Lord, I want to offer you
all the interruptions in my schedule,
in my plans, in my day, in my week -
in my life!

I offer you the bumps along the way each day
that throw me off balance,
that leave me mistrusting my step
and unsure of my path...

Help me take the bumps with grace, Lord:
use them to get my attention,
to keep me alert,
to pull me out of my ruts...

I offer you the unexpected phone calls
and the knocks on my door,
the fresh demands on time already scheduled,
the faces and voices that interrupt my plans
to do what I thought I was supposed to do...

Help me understand that you're in charge here, Lord,
and that you know better than I
where and when and how I might best serve you -
and that your view of my day is wider, deeper, greater
than my own...

I offer you the interruptions that distract me, Lord:
especially the little, annoying ones
that only seem to get in the way of more important tasks...

Make me patient - even grateful
for the ways you turn my head,
whisper in my ear, take me by the hand
and turn me around from my momentary focus
to someone else, to another task,
to some moment filled with a grace, a blessing
my impatience might keep me from finding...

And I offer, too,
the bigger twists and turns I take, Lord,
over months and years:
when the unexpected demand begins to shape my life;
when the unwanted work becomes my daily job;
when my heart's desire is put on hold -
and I don't know why...

Help me to accept, Lord, that
"it is what it is..."
that in all things you are present,
that no matter where my road leads me
you will never hesitate to interrupt your day
to walk my path with me...

When the unanticipated hovers like a cloud, Lord,
show me the silver lining
and let your light shine through with warmth...

Give me the grace of acceptance,
to live my life a day at a time,
an hour at a time,
trusting that in every moment
you are there...

Open my heart wide
to all whose paths cross mine today, Lord,
and let no appointment keep me from meeting you
at every turn,
on schedule
- or by surprise...

Amen.


 

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

2 comments:

  1. Quite often it's as though these prayers were mine alone.....my thoughts, my feelings. Cup of coffee in hand and these prayers... every Monday morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto...I have come to depend on these weekly offerings to guide me through the days that loom in front of me.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!