3/19/12

Monday Morning Offering 185


Image: George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

So, Lent is half over
and Easter's only three weeks away...

I should be at least half- prepared,
half-ready to celebrate the Resurrection
-- but I’m not...

I’m not sure I’m even 1/40th ready
for Easter Sunday...

Beginning with Ash Wednesday I was doing really well,
right up 'til, oh,
maybe the First Sunday of Lent...

And I know, Lord, that was only 4 days…

So, I offer you my sketchy record here
and pray you forgive my failing
in my Lenten plans...

I offer you my lack of self-discipline:
I excuse myself so easily…

I offer you my flimsy promises,
made with firm intentions but failing in follow-through…

I offer you my mistakes, Lord,
hoping that you'll forgive me
and accept my renewed pledge
to pray more often, to go without
and to reach out to the poor…

Such is my offering, Lord:
please help me to lean on your help
and not to try to do this all on my own..

Be with me, Lord,
and be my strength in temptation…

When I put off prayer,
draw me to a quiet place and sit me down:
to be with you, to speak with you,
to get to know you better…

When I’m tempted to indulge myself
on what I’ve given up for this season
(or on anything else),
remind me of my pledge
and the reason for it:
an opportunity to fill my soul
with the nourishment of your word and truth…

When I spend first on myself,
and when I consume more than my share
and more than I need:
show me how much I have
and in what ways I have too much,
and help me be generous
with those who have little or nothing at all…

And remind me, Lord,
that I don't walk the Lenten path alone:
help me to be kind and gentle
with those whose paths cross mine this day
and this week...

I offer you my renewed pledge for Lent, Lord
and pray you'll strengthen my resolve,
deepen my commitment and keep me faithful
to preparing for Easter…

Amen.


Looking for a way to jumpstart Lent?  Check here and here for a few leads.

(Click here for an archive of Monday Morning Offerings)


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!