7/9/12

Praying 10 minutes today: TUESDAY 7/10


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
The Lord will rescue me
   from every evil deed,
and will bring me safely
   to his heavenly kingdom...
- 2 Timothy 4





There are days, Lord, even seasons
   when I need to be rescued, 
      when I need someone to rescue me:
         and so I pray...
      
When I find myself in debt to my old habits, rescue me, Lord!
Help me break the patterns
   that keep me from a fuller, saner, happier life.
Rescue me from routines I've learned so well and use
   to avoid the truth, escape responsibility, 
      and settle for so much less than I deserve.
Rescue me, Lord, from habits old and strong
   and set me free to live the ways of grace you offer...
   
When I'm sinking in a pool of self-pity, rescue me, Lord!
Reach out a saving hand and pull me up, 
   out of those dark waters where I might drown
      in self-indulgence, feeling sorry for myself.
Rescue me from nursing wounds and grudges:
   heal my resentments, Lord, and open my heart 
      to care for those whose needs are greater than mine...

When I'm confused and can't decide, rescue me, Lord!
Shine your light in the thicket of my distractions
   and lead me out my turmoil to a clearing
      where I can see and discern right from wrong,
         true from false, genuine from fake;
       where I can find the path you'd have me walk,
          the choice you'd have me make and keep.
Rescue me from my indecision, Lord,
   and make strong my will to follow where you lead me...

When I'm down in sadness, lost in the blues, rescue me, Lord!
Lift my spirits from the deep, my heart from the shadows,
   my soul from despair.
Give me a taste of the joy you have in store for me, 
   a sip of the peace you want me to have,
      a glimpse of what might be if I'd but take one step with you
            and leave behind what holds me back and keeps me down.
Rescue me from not believing that with you
   all things are possible, even for me...

When my faith is weak and my trust unsure, rescue me, Lord!
Nurture and strengthen the faith that brought me to prayer today.
Shore up my trust in you, in those around me and in myself.
Help me recall how many times my trust and faith
   have led me through the darkest days, the worst of times
      and brought me safe to home and to your heart.
Rescue me from losing faith in you, 
   for in my faith rests my trust and all my hope for joy...

When I'm bound and fettered by fear, rescue me, Lord!
When I'm afraid of those around me; even of you;
   or when I fear myself,
gently reach into my heart and give me courage
   to name whatever frightens me,
      to tame whatever threatens me.
Unlock the chains of fear that hobble my every step.
Unloose the bonds of doubt that paralyze my hope.
Untie the ropes of worry that keep me from tomorrow.
Rescue me from all my fears, Lord,
   and set me free to live as you created me to live:
      in peace, in the palm of your outstretched hand... 

In the quiet of this time for prayer, in the stillness, Lord,
   rescue me from doubting your presence, 
      from fearing your judgment, from all that distracts me,
         from failing to trust in your desire to rescue me
            from all that comes between us,
               from anything that keeps me from your love...

In this time with you, today, Lord,
   let me see how much I need your help,
      how much you want to rescue me 
         and in your grace and mercy set me free...

With your gentle hand and strong arm: 
   reach out, rescue and redeem me, Lord.
Bring me safely to your kingdom,
   to the promise of your peace...
  
To ponder and pray over...
From what do I need to be rescued, today?
When the Lord reaches out to rescue me,
   will I take his hand?
Do I sometimes fear the freedom rescue will offer me?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?
(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!