8/4/12

Praying 10 minutes today: SATURDAY 8/4


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
How beautiful your dwelling place,
   O Lord of hosts!
My soul yearns and pines 
   for the courts of the Lord.
Happy are those
   who dwell in your house...
-Psalm 84



(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)
   
What's your address, Lord?
Where's your house?
Where should I look to find you,
   to find the place where you dwell?

I've known since my childhood, Lord,
   that you are everywhere!
There's not a corner, not a nook or cranny in the universe,
   where you won't be found.
Your presence is infinitely greater 
   than anything I can imagine
and at the same time, 
  you are the energy at the core of all
      and of anything that exists...

Wherever I look, Lord, 
   that is your dwelling place:
      above, around, below and within me...

Teach my heart to want, even to yearn to find you, Lord,
   wherever I am,
      wherever I turn, wherever I run, 
         wherever I work or play,
            wherever I hide, wherever I rest...

For you are there...

You make your home within me, Lord,
   and so I know you dwell in everyone,
      you make your home in every soul on the face of the earth.
There is no human being in whose heart you do not rest.
There is no person whose mind your Spirit doesn't guide.
There is no soul created that did not come from your own hand.
Every single person I meet, Lord,
   is a dwelling place for you
      deserving of my reverence and my love...

And you dwell in your Word, Lord:
   in the Word of scriptures that guide my life,
   in the Word of truth your Church proclaims,
   in the words of those who preach your gospel,
   in the words of any who speak the truth,
   in the words you speak to me in prayer...

Teach me to long to hear your word, Lord.
Teach me to listen for the word you have for me today.
Open my heart to the words of your grace
   that come to dwell in my heart today.
Open my mind to the word of truth
   that seeks to make its home in my mind.
Open my soul to the word of mercy
   that comes to dwell in peace and pardon...

If I've been a stranger to your house of prayer, Lord,
   the sanctuary where your people gather
      to give you thanks and praise,
then lead me to the house of God's people
   and welcome me home to the courts of your presence...

In the quiet of my prayer,
   make your dwelling place with me today, Lord...

In the stillness of my prayer,
   help me hear your voice echo in the chambers of my heart,
      a sanctuary of your presence...

In grace of this time, Lord,
   give me joy in your presence and teach me to yearn,
      to pine for your peace in prayer and in any way,
         in any place where you come to dwell in my life...

To ponder and pray over...
Where does the Lord dwell in my day to day life?
Do I think there are places where I might hide from him?
What peace in my prayer 
   is a sign of God's presence dwelling with me?
How might I open my mind and heart
   to welcome the Lord to dwell within me?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!