8/5/12

Praying 10 minutes today: SUNDAY 8/5


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...



A word to reflect on:   
Avert my eyes from what is worthless,
by your way give me life...
- Psalm 119 






(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...) 

Avert my eyes, close my eyes, Lord,
   to what's worthless and not deserving
      of my time, my interest, my glance...

Close my eyes
   to what drags me down, brings me low
      and leads me to pity myself...

Shield my eyes, Lord,
   from whatever  tempts me to break my word,
      my promises, my pledges, my vows...

Shut my eyes to what distracts me 
   from all that's good, from what's just and true, 
      from what's whole and pure... 

Close my envious eyes 
   before they seek and long for what's not mine
      and tempt me to forget the many gifts I have...

Avert my eyes, Lord, before I see
   what leads me astray, what tempts me to fail,
      what threatens my trust in you and my friends...

 Close my eyes, Lord, to anything distracting me
   from my purpose, my hopes and my goals,
to anything leading me away from the path
   that leads to you and the life I pray for...

Turn my eyes from what I need not see,
  what I should not see, from what I cannot see
      without losing sight of all I truly want to see...

Avert my eyes from what is worthless,
by your way give me life...

Open my eyes, Lord, to all that's true
   and let me see the wisdom you offer me
      in the simplest ways, all day long...

Open my eyes to what lifts my spirit,
   enlightens my thoughts
      and fills my heart with joy...

Open wide my eyes, Lord, and let in the light
   that illumines my thoughts and plans,
      that shines upon the path I walk...

Open my eyes to your face, Lord, 
   and let me see in your eyes
      a reflection of the love in which you hold me...

In the quiet of my prayer, Lord,
   turn my eyes to you and let me see
      that you are near, that you are here by my side...

In the stillness, help me focus on your grace,
   touching and healing my soul,
      inviting me to see who you are in my life...

In my prayer, Lord, let me see the path
   you invite me to walk, the way that deepens my life,
      the light you shine on every step I take...

Open my eyes, Lord,
   to see what you have readied for me today
   to see how you are at my side this moment,
   to see the wealth of your presence all around me...

Avert my eyes, Lord, from whatever turns me from you.
Open my eyes to all that reveals your love.
Help me see, Lord, that your way gives me life,
   that your path leads me home...
  
To ponder and pray over...
What do I see that distracts me from from the truth,
   from God, from peace of mind?
To what do I need to close my eyes - today?
What do I need to turn away from?
   what do I need to turn towards?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!